SATAN'S HOST Pre-dating God Part 1

Album · 2015 · Power Metal
Hell's disciples...

Genre: satanic power-thrash

Satan's Host have been around for a long time and explored various corners of the metal universe, including traditional metal, black metal, thrash metal, and power metal... yeah, blackened power metal is a reality! One constant element has been satanic blasphemy and that's one of the things that we love about Satan's Host. In 2015, they are going to release an epic double release entitled "Pre-dating God".

Part one takes a more thrashy direction and may be described as blackened power-thrash. And the blackened element does not just reside in the satanic lyrics, as these guys make use of blastbeats and other elements from black metal which they seamlessly blend in with US power metal elements (as heard in, for instance, the rather heavy 'Greed, Lust, Hate, War'). While some tracks are fairly balanced in terms of power metal and thrash metal, some lean more towards thrash metal, as in the case of 'Hell's Disciples', 'Embers of Will', and 'Valley of Blood' while the title track draws more on power metal and traditional metal with a few melodic black metal bursts.

Overall, however, the first part of "Pre-dating God" leans mostly towards thrash metal and is, in my book, a bona fide power-thrash release. The musicianship is top notch, and Harry "The Tyrant" Conklin's (aka. Leviathan Thisiren) soaring vocals suit the music style extremely well. The production is not too polished, so those who do not like the so-called sterile production of much modern metal should appreciate this release.

In my book, this is an extremely well put together album, which combines US power metal and thrash metal into a style which is both melodic and aggressive, and satanically larger than life.

Crooked Teeth Hard Rock