DIAMOND HEAD — Lightning to the Nations

DIAMOND HEAD - Lightning to the Nations cover

Album · 1980

Filed under NWoBHM
By DIAMOND HEAD

1. Lightning to the Nations (4:14)
2. The Prince (6:13)
3. Sucking My Love (9:33)
4. Am I Evil? (7:43)
5. Sweet and Innocent (3:37)
6. It's Electric (3:22)
7. Helpless (6:48)

- Sean Harris / vocals
- Brian Tatler / guitar
- Colin Kimberley / bass
- Duncan Scott / drums

AKA "The White Album", only 1000 copies were pressed of the original vinyl, on Happy Face records, cat. MMDHLP 1015 - although this album has been repressed many times. Featured first is the cover of the original run.

The first repress was on behalf of the band, and ran to another 1000 copies, which can be identified as the sleeves show the track listing (ie, first presses do not).

Many of the originals are also fully or partially autographed, as the album was sold at gigs or via mail order, like so many other bands of the time.

A fully autographed copy sold on eBay on 25th April 2009 for £167.

Unfortunately, the only original 1 1/4 Master Tapes were lost after the band sent them to Woolfe Records in Germany - although Woolfe Records did re-release the album in 1981, with a cover showing the world on fire. It was also re-released on Sanctuary Records in 2001.

It was also re-released by Metal Blade in 1993 with a shining diamond on a black-background with the band logo and album title. This is probably the most well-known of the covers.

It was remastered in 2011 by Universal, which once again featured different album art that showed the band logo electrifying the earth.

Thanks to Certif1ed, 666sharon666, Unitron for the updates

Buy DIAMOND HEAD - LIGHTNING TO THE NATIONS music

Lightning To The Nations: White AlbumLightning To The Nations: White Album
Hne 2016
Lightning To The Nations: White AlbumLightning To The Nations: White Album
High Roller Import 2019
Lightning To The NationsLightning To The Nations
High Roller Import 2019
Showing 3 items | Cache expiring in 16h | Keyword-based search | Best seller rank | More results on Amazon.com

More places to buy metal & DIAMOND HEAD music

DIAMOND HEAD LIGHTNING TO THE NATIONS reviews

siLLy puPPy
Originally released simply titled DIAMOND HEAD in 1980 it has since been renamed after the first track LIGHTNING TO THE NATIONS. This band was another one of those influential NWOBHM bands that despite being in the top ranks didn't quite see their just dessert until Metallica covered some of the best tracks such as “Am I Evil” on their debut album. For whatever reason they couldn't find a record contract and had to resort to starting their own record label. This album was their debut and for financial reasons only released 1000 copies. Once the band became recognized as the influential entitiy it was it created a huge interest for collectors wanting to get a copy of one of the original releases.

What we get here musically is some standard NWOBHM with the obvious influences ranging from Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and Judas Priest. I personally think this album is often overrated in the influence department. Very good it is, but by the time this hit the market Iron Maiden, Angel Witch, Saxon and even Def Leppard were in the same league and I actually prefer their early albums to this one. This is one of those influential albums that I actually prefer less than the bands that would be influenced by them such as Metallica or Megadeth, however I don't want to deprive this band of the dues owed them simply because the album doesn't satisfy me on some profound level. The songs here are well written and well performed and if you get the remastered CD you will also be treated to seven tracks from their earlier EP s that seem more influential to me because of the much earlier date in which they were recorded and released. Definitely a worthy addition to any metal collection.
The debut album from Diamond Head is a set of seven NWOBHM classics which the record companies of the era were utter fools to reject. Sean Harris has a knack for delivering vocals are smoother and a little more soulful than folk often expect of NWOBHM material, which helps on songs like Sucking My Love, but on material like Am I Evil? he is more than capable of stepping up the grit. The diverse range of styles offered on the album becomes a weakness at some points - not all of the band's stylistic experiments are 100% successful and the album gets a little bogged down after Am I Evil? - but it's still worth a spin if you're into NWOBHM.

No DIAMOND HEAD LIGHTNING TO THE NATIONS reviews posted by members yet.

• Daniel Wallace

SCISSORFIGHT

Pillars
EARTH AND PILLARS
Train_Food· 1 day ago
Earth and Pillars - Tides (2014)
EARTH AND PILLARS