DIAMOND HEAD — Lightning to the Nations (review)

DIAMOND HEAD — Lightning to the Nations album cover Album · 1980 · NWoBHM Buy this album from MMA partners
siLLy puPPy
Originally released simply titled DIAMOND HEAD in 1980 it has since been renamed after the first track LIGHTNING TO THE NATIONS. This band was another one of those influential NWOBHM bands that despite being in the top ranks didn't quite see their just dessert until Metallica covered some of the best tracks such as “Am I Evil” on their debut album. For whatever reason they couldn't find a record contract and had to resort to starting their own record label. This album was their debut and for financial reasons only released 1000 copies. Once the band became recognized as the influential entitiy it was it created a huge interest for collectors wanting to get a copy of one of the original releases.

What we get here musically is some standard NWOBHM with the obvious influences ranging from Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and Judas Priest. I personally think this album is often overrated in the influence department. Very good it is, but by the time this hit the market Iron Maiden, Angel Witch, Saxon and even Def Leppard were in the same league and I actually prefer their early albums to this one. This is one of those influential albums that I actually prefer less than the bands that would be influenced by them such as Metallica or Megadeth, however I don't want to deprive this band of the dues owed them simply because the album doesn't satisfy me on some profound level. The songs here are well written and well performed and if you get the remastered CD you will also be treated to seven tracks from their earlier EP s that seem more influential to me because of the much earlier date in which they were recorded and released. Definitely a worthy addition to any metal collection.

From Slum to Slam - The Udder Story Brutal Death Metal