ANTHRAX — Persistence Of Time (review)

ANTHRAX — Persistence Of Time album cover Album · 1990 · Thrash Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
Unitron
Persistence of Time, the last Anthrax album to feature Joey Belladonna until 2011's Worship Music, is a great closer to the band's classic lineup. It takes the best of both the all out thrashing of Among the Living and the groovier hooks of State of Euphoria to create a groovy thrash classic.

The Joe Jackson cover Got the Time is probably the biggest hit from the album, and for great reason. It epitomizes the incredibly fun side of Anthrax, often expressed in their covers, and Got the Time almost sounds like a skate punk take on thrash. Belly of the Beast also has a similar vibe, though it's contrasted with a great melodic instrumental Intro to Reality. Blood is some pure groove, and even shows some of the band's influence from hip hop, with my favorite part of the song sounding influenced by the syncopated rhythms and vocal flow of the classics. H8 Red and Keep it in the Family are a couple more of my favorites, melodic, thrashing, and grooving.

Thrash bands would often close their albums with a slower or moodier song, like Metallica with Call of Ktulu of Slayer with Seasons in the Abyss. Anthrax is the opposite, they close the album with the high octane speed of Discharge. While not quite to the whiplash levels of Spreading the Disease's Gung-Ho, it's not far off.

After this, the band would get Armored Saint's John Bush on vocals, and start another row of classic albums and deliver some of the best thrash of the 90's.

siLLy puPPy wrote:
2 months ago
Anthrax isn't my favorite band but this is one of my faves from them
2 months ago
Love this album. It's so fucking heavy! Some of those riffs are absolutely monstrous! I have Frank Bello's bass intro to Got The Time as the ringtone on my phone.

Abyss Power Metal