CRIMSON GLORY — War Of The Worlds (review)

CRIMSON GLORY — War Of The Worlds album cover EP · 2000 · US Power Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
'War of the Worlds' is the only single released from Crimson Glory's 1999 album, 'Astronomica'. Reports suggest that I'm one of seventeen people who liked that album (actually, I loved it), so it's barely conceivable to think that there are others out there who actually own this EP on disc. But there is a reason to, and that's because the CD itself is shaped like some kind of awkward star, with pointy edges, and an image of the band on it. It's a pretty cool little thing to own, to be honest. If you're a fan, that is. And by this point, we're an endangered species.

The title track itself is awesome, and easily one of the bands best pieces. With its slick guitar harmonies, tight rhythm and screeching vocals, the band are on top form and ready to take on the new millennium (which, evidently... went nowhere). Despite programmed drums, the track is a standout from the album, and its single release is justified.

However, from there, it's standard EP material. Two demos from the 'Astronomica' record, which are good, but not really noteworthy (stick with the finished album versions). And two live tracks of songs I'm not overly fussed about. In fact, these feature the bands former vocalist Midnight, which I find a bit of a shame. Don't get me wrong, the guy was an absolute powerhouse of a singer, but I just thought it'd be cooler if they were more recent live recordings, featuring then-current vocalist Wade Black.

The shaped disc is a cool enough gimmick though, which makes this a neat little collectable, but overall, this is an EP, and as is always the case with these things, is only really for the die-hard fans. And surely I'm not the only one, am I?

666sharon666 wrote: