CHRIS CAFFERY — The Mold (review)

CHRIS CAFFERY — The Mold album cover EP · 2004 · Power Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
'The Mold' is taken from Chris Caffery's debut solo album, 'Faces', which is a monstrous release that sees the guitarist of the legendary metal band Savatage and the Trans-Siberian Orchestra truly cut loose and reveal a side of himself that we've never seen before. It's angry, heavy and loud, and riddled with political and misanthropic lyrics.

Released in 2004, 'The Mold' (the song itself) is great, with some jackhammer guitar riffs and incredibly powerful vocals, it sums up Caffery's sound perfectly. The true highlight of the EP, however, is 'God Damn War'. Taken from the two-disc edition of 'Faces', and later released on the 'W.A.R.P.E.D.' compilation, this is one of Caffery's strongest and most politically-charged songs, with some exceptional guitar playing and demonstrating a great knack for songwriting.

'Fade Into the X' and EP-exclusive track 'Fright Knights' are both reasonably good, but nothing massively memorable, and 'Forever We'll Be' is a pretty dull ballad, which tends to drag on a bit, but does a great job of showing Caffery's development as a singer.

Overall however, this is a pretty decent EP. There's enough solid material and strong enough performances to make it a worthwhile purchase if you're a fan, and there might be enough here to convert any new followers too.

Legione Occulta / Ministerium Diaboli Doom Metal