SCORPIONS — Love At First Sting (review)

SCORPIONS — Love At First Sting album cover Album · 1984 · Heavy Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
Blackout was a fun album, but it did rather walk a fine tightrope between pleasing the diehard metal audience on the one hand and expanding the band's appeal to a broader crowd on the other. With Love At First Sting, the balance tips firmly towards smooth accessibility and broad commercial appeal, with the end result being an album which will be liked by many but rarely loved.

For my part, there's just slightly too much self-conscious pandering to generic rock tastes here to make this feel like a really compelling Scorpions album; Rock You Like a Hurricane, the breakthrough single, kind of sums this up all really, in that it's a song that promises to rock you with the force of a natural disaster but is actually much wimpier than a good cross-section of their prior material. Interesting only if you are looking into Scorpions' brief moment in the pop limelight.

Bosh66 wrote:
Horses for courses I guess, but me too. Always been really fond of this one.
siLLy puPPy wrote:
Count me as a lover of this one. Come on. The Scorps were always about accessible poppy heavy metal. That's what they did best. This album takes all that and crafts some of their best tracks ever. One of the most consistent and intense Scorps albums of the 80s. Tracks like Coming Home and The Same Thrill are amongst my faves

Purgatory Deathcore