METALLICA — Frantic (review)

METALLICA — Frantic album cover Single · 2003 · Thrash Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
I think there’s no denying that 2003’s ‘St. Anger’ is hardly a career highlight for Metallica. While certainly a pivotal moment in the bands history, the album itself is probably more a result of a well-documented time of turmoil for the band, than an actual critical success.

Which brings us to any promotional singles that were released, and there were a few. ‘Frantic’ is arguably one of the better songs from the album, which isn’t really saying too much. Especially as this is standard Metallica fare. The title track, accompanied by two generic live recordings, in the case of CD1 of this two-disc set, ‘Blackened’ and ‘Harvester of Sorrow’. Both original studio recordings are Metallica masterpieces... these live recordings... umm... rather forgettable, really.

Nothing overly special or remarkable, the band sounds quite rusty here, no doubt due to having not toured in a number of years at this point. None-the-less, this doesn’t make for any notable live recordings, which ultimately makes for a rather mundane single release, which finds itself only worth owning for die-hard fans.

Under Acid Hoof Doom Metal