ELOY Floating

Album · 1974 · Proto-Metal
Modrigue
Hard rock psychedelia

"Floating" is one of the most underrated or forgotten album of ELOY. The music here is simply a top-notch combination of early heavy metal psychedelia and space rock ! Few vocals, very catchy melodies and energetic guitar playing. It ressembles by moments to a fight between DEEP PURPLE (due to Manfred Wieczorke's organ solos) and PINK FLOYD, but, of course, with the German's band own style and spirit. . Furthermore, "Floating" is very consistent, the listener never loses his attention on the music.

The record opens with the title song, a true easy rider ballad to space. The tune is very powerful, vocals are trippy. This is an excellent introduction which lets you expect more... and this arrives with the 15 minutes magic epic "The Light From Deep Darkness". The beginning is very mysterious, in the vein of "Land Of No Body", then the rhythm changes suddenly and gets angrier, but always in a mystical feel. Alternating peaceful and powerful passages with efficient guitar improvisations and special sound effects, the song is evolving, enchanting, stoning, and announces ELOY's future direction towards space rock.

The next track, "Castle In The Air", is much more rock- oriented, very melancholic to become surprisingly trippy and rocky, in the spirit of GONG's "You" (released the same year). Mindblowing! The calm comes back with the delicate melody of "Plastic Girl", before putting you in a galaxy far away with Bornemann's powerful solos. The disc finishes with "Madhouse", which at first glance ressembles to a classical 70s' heavy metal tune. But this is without counting on the talent of the German space rockers, who summon planet collisions and sonic deflagrations with their instruments. An excellent spacey conclusion which will let you in the sky.

Compared to other ELOY's albums, "Floating" is not often cited and its tracks were not often played at concerts. However it's one of their best records, although not representative of their style and a bit lacking personality. Less symphonic than their future albums, the songs are the rockiest composed by the band. The music is very refreshing, never outdated and will appeal energetic space rock as well as early 70's heavy metal fans!

6 months ago
Good review, this is my favorite Eloy album as well as one of my all-time favorites. Heavy metal and space rock have never been combined better since.

Through Worlds Of Stardust Hard Rock