BEJELIT — Emerge (review)

BEJELIT — Emerge album cover Album · 2012 · Power Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
Conor Fynes
'Emerge' - Bejelit (7/10)

Power metal is often a hit-or-miss thing for me. Of those bands who have won me over, Italy seems to be a place where many of the style's greatest acts are born. I had never heard of Bejelit before this year, but it's clear that they possess the sort of skill and passion that I usually look for in power metal. Granted, the band does nothing that hasn't already been hear many times before within the European power metal scene, but 'Emerge' stands as a good, if not great demonstration of Bejelit's promise.

Sonata Arctica was the band that kept popping to mind while hearing Bejelit. In fact, there were large sections where I could have been certain that it was Tony Kakko doing vocals here. That is meant in no way to downplay the real vocalist Fabio Privitera, however. As Kakko is among who I consider to be the greatest power metal singers of all time, Privitera's association is all to his benefit. He has a voice here that manages to thrust emotion even into the fastest-paced moments on 'Emerge'. 'We Got The Tragedy' is a brilliant showcase for his vocal acrobatics, and while he remains a technically-rooted vocalist, there is never a dearth of passion in his delivery.

The overall scope of Bejelit's music is highly focused on melody, but there is also a healthy balance of that epic, 'cinematic' feeling that many bands within power metal aim for. I found myself in awe of the album's epic, 'Deep Water'; a piece that manages to take feelings of triumph and melancholy, and fuse it into a grand ten minute journey. Though melodic, Bejelit are very fast-paced, though their sound is never quite challenging nor grinding on the ears. There is a very synth-laden approach here. Though the guitar work of Capone and Pastorino is the guiding light of the composition, there is a symphonic aspect that adds some meat to the sound, though some listeners may find the more optimistic synth parts to fall into cheesy depths.

Even following several highly enjoyed listens, I can't quite shake the Sonata Arctica impression that Bejelit first gave me. The band's ambitious string sections may hint at a way to distinguish themselves in coming years, but I cannot yet say that Bejelit stands out as their own act amongst the crowded power metal realm. With that in mind however, it's not often I hear power metal that nails the songwriting aspect like on 'Emerge'. A very good album, and a band to look out for in the coming months.

Mir Zur Feier Melodic Death Metal