PORCUPINE TREE — Staircase Infinities

EP · 1994

Filed under Non-Metal
By PORCUPINE TREE

1. Cloud Zero (4:39)
2. The Joke's On You (4:05)
3. Navigator (4:51)
4. Rainy Taxi (6:44)
5. Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape (9:24)

- Steven Wilson / guitar, vocals, keyboards, programming

December 1994
Lazy Eye Records, Blue Print Records

Reissued by Snapper in 2005 as the second disc to the re-release of album Up The Downstair with the following tracklist:

1. Cloud Zero (4:40)
2. The Joke's On You (2004 remix) (4:17)
3. Navigator (4:49)
4. Rainy Taxi (6:50)
5. Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape (9:36)

Reissued by Headspin on vinyl in 2005 as the second disc to the re-release of the album Up The Downstair with the following tracklist:

1. Cloud Zero (4:40)
2. The Joke's On You (2004 remix) (4:17)
3. Navigator (4:49)
4. Phantoms (3:15)
5. Rainy Taxi (6:50)
6. Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape (9:36)

Thanks to andyman1125 for the addition and Lynx33 for the updates

Buy PORCUPINE TREE - STAIRCASE INFINITIES music

More places to buy metal & PORCUPINE TREE music

PORCUPINE TREE STAIRCASE INFINITIES reviews

siLLy puPPy
Originally intended to be released as a double album with the previous year's “Up The Downstair,” the end result was that the material left over from those sessions was released as an EP in 1994. This 30 minute collection of five tracks is much in the vein of “Downstair.” It continues the pathway that Steven Wilson chose to develop the psychedelic rock strand of his creative forces. Despite being similar to the previous album in spaciness, this material is a lot mellower as I don't hear as much Ozric Tentacle influenced electronic tendencies nor as many upbeat songs. These tracks are slower and trippier with long drawn out spaced out passages. There is percussion to be had but all is set on chill mode.

I actually find the five songs on this EP to be of slightly higher quality than “Downstair.” I love the chord progressions. I love the tasty guitar solos and effects. It seems like Wilson had developed down his own path a little bit more so even this was created roughly at the same time of “Downstair” it really sounds like it could have been recorded a year later. It also seems like the gateway to the next album “The Sky Moves Sideways” where I hear all those rhythms, patterns and spacey electronic effects ratcheting up a few notches. Although this was originally released as an EP, I acquired it as a double album on the 2005 remastered version of “Up The Downstair.” Spacey, relaxed and stimulating at the same time.

FMOTP
One of the biggest reasons for the success of Steven Wilson's music is the variety of influences he presents. Of all of PORCUPINE TREE's music, the instrumental psychedelic songs are the ones I usually like least. This is a heavy metal music site we're on, so I'm sure there are a good number of people who agree with me. That personal preference reduces the overall rating of Staircase Infinities IMO.

My favorite songs on this release are "The Joke's On You" and "Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape". The songs are somewhat similar to each other. However, even Porcupine Tree's lesser material is compelling. It's a testament to the talent of Wilson and his fellow musicians that they make Floydian psychedelic rock this enjoyable. Most bands can't pull it off, so I'm going to consider Staircase Infinities an "excellent addition." The ultimate assessment probably depends on how "metal" you like your Porcupine Tree.

• sploosh