METAL CHURCH — The Human Factor

METAL CHURCH - The Human Factor cover

Album · 1991

Filed under Heavy Metal
By METAL CHURCH

1. The Human Factor (5:00)
2. Date With Poverty (5:20)
3. The Final Word (6:00)
4. In Mourning (6:01)
5. In Harm's Way (7:00)
6. In Due Time (4:05)
7. Agent Green (5:57)
8. Flee From Reality (4:12)
9. Betrayed (4:32)
10. The Fight Song (3:25)

- John Marshall / Guitar

Buy METAL CHURCH - THE HUMAN FACTOR music

More places to buy metal & METAL CHURCH music

METAL CHURCH THE HUMAN FACTOR reviews

Kingcrimsonprog
eattle’s Metal Church are an interesting band, hard to place. They can sound like a mixture between (fellow Seattle band) Queensryche and early Savatage at times, basically writing Thrash Metal at other times and writing big ‘80s Power Ballads at other times.

The previous album was a bit more serious and proggy. The one before that was their thrashiest of the early records and the one after this goes a bit stripped down. They cover a lot of ground, but I like all of their solid and diverse first five albums more or less equally.

Well, with one exception. Their fourth album, 1991’s The Human Factor is by far and away my favourite. This album is an absolute stand out. I don’t know what happened here, if it is the production, the song writing, or the performance, but this album just utterly smokes.

The album is consistent from beginning to end in a way that makes it hard to choose highlights. There is the ridiculously catchy hard rock single ‘Date With Poverty’ with memorable guitar hooks, there is the furious blood pumping Thrash attack of ‘The Final Word,’ ‘The Fight Song’ and ‘Flee From Reality.’ The opener ‘Human Factor’ has the same confidence of Symbol Of Salvation era Armored Saint.

Lyrically the album is really interesting too. ‘In Mourning’ is similar to Sacred Reich’s ‘Who’s To Blame?’ in the Metal-doesn’t-cause-suicide theme. ‘The Final Word’ seems to be a patriotic song about the good sides of America, ‘Date With Poverty’ is a socially aware track.

Musically, the album is utterly bombastic. The Marshall/Wells guitar team fill the album with a barrage of riffs and solos. The Erickson/Arrington rhythm section is on point. But the real star here are Mike Howe’s incredible vocals. The man has ‘some serious lungs on him’ as they say, an utter superstar vocal performance that elevates the record far above the competition. I mean as much as I have been big-ing up the album’s heavier moments, on ‘Agent Green’ (which seems to be an attempt to improve upon the popular ‘Watch The Children Play’ from the previous album) he sounds almost like Geddy Lee at times.

Overall; this album is great album in every way. It sounds great. The songs are great and the performances are particularly great. I would absolutely recommend this to any fan of Hard Rock, Metal.
Metal Church's The Human Factor is, by no means, a bad album - it's just an uninspiring one. For the first time in their career, Metal Church seemed to lose the initiative here, releasing an album which goes through the motions without evolving or advancing their sound interestingly and without producing any really standout tracks. Mike Howe's vocal performance, with its occasional slide towards Alice Cooper territory, is interesting enough, but everyone else seems to be snoozing. It's also the first Metal Church album which has lacked a really strong opener - stand the title track up against Fake Healer from the preceding album and the deficiency of this crop of material becomes all too clear.

No METAL CHURCH THE HUMAN FACTOR reviews posted by members yet.

• GWLHM76