KING CRIMSON — The ConstruKction Of Light

Album · 2000

Filed under Non-Metal
By KING CRIMSON

1. ProzaKc Blues (5:28)
2. The ConstruKction Of Light (5:49)
3. The ConstruKction Of Light (2:50)
4. Into The Frying Pan (6:54)
5. FraKctured (9:06)
6. The World's My Oyster Soup Kitchen Floor Wax Museum (6:24)
7. Larks' Tongues In Aspic, Part IV (3:41)
8. Larks' Tongues In Aspic, Part IV (2:50)
9. Larks' Tongues In Aspic, Part IV (2:36)
10. Coda: I Have A Dream (4:51)
11. Heaven And Earth (7:46)

- Adrian Belew / guitar, vocals

Thanks to andyman1125, UMUR, Pekka, Lynx33 for the updates

Buy KING CRIMSON - THE CONSTRUKCTION OF LIGHT music

More places to buy metal & KING CRIMSON music

KING CRIMSON THE CONSTRUKCTION OF LIGHT reviews

King Crimson have always done their absolute best work when they have both a stable lineup and a compelling musical vision to lend cohesiveness to the compositions. For their first phase (from In the Court... to Islands) they had the vision but not the stable lineup, so whilst the debut album was fabulous the next three were a little hit-and-miss - though thanks to the musical vision expressed they were always interesting.

Then you have the glorious mid-1970s phase, where the stable core of Wetton, Bruford and Fripp gave a bedrock of stability and the band pursued a new, raw musical direction which paid massive dividends. And, of course, after that you have the 1980s incarnation of the band, which held a rock-solid lineup for its three albums and once again had an intriguing musical direction to follow.

I guess this is why the post-THRAK reincarnation of the band has little interest for me, because it enjoys neither a stable lineup nor a particularly interesting or revolutionary musical direction. See, for instance, The ConstruKction of Light, recorded following the collapse of THRAK's double trio lineup. Songs like ProzaKc Blues and The World's My Oyster... seem to show a somewhat flippant approach to the album, almost as though the band themselves couldn't take the project seriously, and the tedious attempts at recycling old ideas from the band's heyday go nowhere.

At around this time Fripp was quite taken with the whole ProjeKct idea, which was an attempt to use the fluctuating and unstable lineups of Crimson as an advantage rather than a weakness, but to be honest I've never heard anything from the ProjeKcts that struck me as being more than a fun but unsatisfying diversion and it seems with ConstruKction the core band itself wasn't exactly firing on all cylinders either.

It's a real shame, because I had respected Fripp's habit of breaking up King Crimson when there was no reason for it to exist and only resurrecting it when he felt that there was a particular need to take a Crimsonian approach to an album. The ConstruKction of Light stands as proof that this approach, by 2000, was long-dead: it's King Crimson existing and plodding on simply for the sake of being King Crimson, without any consideration of whether there's any need for King Crimson right now.

No KING CRIMSON THE CONSTRUKCTION OF LIGHT reviews posted by members yet.

• Caio2112