CRADLE OF FILTH — V Empire or Dark Faerytales in Phallustein

CRADLE OF FILTH - V Empire or Dark Faerytales in Phallustein cover

EP · 1996

1. Ebony Dressed for Sunset (2:49)
2. The Forest Whispers My Name (4:41)
3. Queen of Winter, Throned (10:27)
4. Nocturnal Supremacy (5:53)
5. She Mourns a Lengthening Shadow (3:42)
6. The Rape and Ruin of Angels (Hosannas in Extremis) (8:52)

- Dani Filth / vocals
- Nicholas Barker / drums
- Stuart Antsis / guitar
- Damien Gregori / keyboards
- Robin Eaglestone / bass guitar

Guest/Session:
- Sarah Jezebel Deva / backing vocals
- Keith Appleton / Keyboards (track 5)
- Cneajna / Vocals (backing)
- Rachel / Vocals (backing)

Label: Cacophonous Records
Release Date: April 22, 1996

Thanks to Stooge, adg211288, UMUR for the updates

Buy CRADLE OF FILTH - V EMPIRE OR DARK FAERYTALES IN PHALLUSTEIN music

More places to buy metal & CRADLE OF FILTH music

CRADLE OF FILTH V EMPIRE OR DARK FAERYTALES IN PHALLUSTEIN reviews

arcane-beautiful
Ok, now this release apparently has a bit of history behind it. Whilst signed to Cacophonus records, they didn't like it anymore, so in order to be dropped from their label, they decided to make this e.p, in order to fill up their album and release deal...and as usual...it's amazing! How smug can you get.

Now this e.p is incredibly smug in it's presentation (well to me it is), but Cradle have always been smug, and you gotta love them for it.

For me, this is where it really starts. Their first album is ok I guess. It's a pretty solid effort, and it's ok for a debut, but this is the release for me which I think really sets these guys in stone and into the world's musical ensemble. At this point in their career, Cradle were seen as Uk's only real black metal band. Now Cradle in my opinion never where really black metal, and will always be either gothic or extreme metal to me, but listening to this release, you can see where people would get confused.

Now sound wise, this isn't far off from what they did on Dusk, but this ep has its own unique sound I think, mainly cause theirs 2 quite epic songs on it. This ep sounds very expanded, where it kind of takes you on this magical journey...although it's a hellish nightmare. I think the longer songs is where the atmosphere really tips over to boiling point on this release, but the shorter songs are just as strong, and even stronger at points. Really this ep is 40 minutes that you will happily spend in sheer fright and wonderment, but in the best way possible.

I think this ep is also the point where Cradle where their most evil, and it slowly went downhill from here. I mean it, like Dani's vocals are so high pitched, listening to them scares banshees away. The mixing on this album is actually supirsingly well done, due to its budget, purpose and its place in time. This ep is the pinnacle for really early Cradle, and is actually one of my favourite releases from them, and will always be. In fact, I remeber my brother saying once that this is his favourite Cradle release (although his opinions change all the time).

This is also the first album to feature Sarah Jezebel...and some other girl who is never heard of again. Ha, epic fail.

1. Ebony Dressed For Sunset - A great black metal intro...with the full band playing. Things are happening and we don't know why. Can't get any better than that. 8/10

2. The Forest Whispers My Name - This is the best version of this song. The 1st album can go and f*** off. This is just Cradle's first real kick ass song and a moment which will spark the rest of their career. Incredibly twisted, yet as fascinating as the dawn. 10/10

3. Queen Of Winter, Throned - What an epic. This being their 2nd longest song, does it live up to their longest. Yes it does. In fact I find this song way more exciting than Bathroy Aria, although Bathory Aria is a better song I feel, but this song doesn't come too far from it. This will always be one of my alltime Cradle favourites for centuries to come. 10/10

4. Nocturnal Supremacy - The main riff in this is pretty killer. A really exciting and gothic song with some really interesting and cool moments. Bit underlooked I feel too. 9/10

5. She Mourns A Lengthening Shadow - Is this on another release. I've either heard this before, or have heard this a thousand times. This is quite beautiful and really impressive for early Cradle. 9/10

6. The Rum & Rape Of Angels (Hossanas In Extremis) - I love how this song starts off really punky, and just ejaculates all over your face (in a good way tho). A great song, with alot of diverse vocals on it. Nice lyrics too. 8/10

CONCLUSION: I don't know why these songs weren't featured on albums, because theirs some really classic Cradle songs on this album, that get overlooked due to them being on this ep. Same thing happened with some of the songs on Bitter Suites To Succubi.

8.3/10

No CRADLE OF FILTH V EMPIRE OR DARK FAERYTALES IN PHALLUSTEIN reviews posted by members yet.

• Caio2112