BLACK BONED ANGEL — Verdun (review)

BLACK BONED ANGEL — Verdun album cover Album · 2009 · Drone Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
renkls
It's generally perceived that Black Boned Angel's Verdun is their high watermark in their career so far, and out of the four albums of theirs I've heard, I tend to agree. Although, like most drone doom metal albums, there is the deceptively simple design - a single song album which only contains subtle variations on/around/within what appears to be a pretty straightforward riff or pattern - what matters here more then in their other works is probably the concept, and the power which follows behind this release. Verdun is a famous/infamous battle ground of the second world war, a nightmarish 3 day battle immersed in what I can only imagine was a hellish sense of dread, despair and doom. And so, what better concept album for a drone doom band to base their album on? Throughout, things go from ominous in the first five minutes, to an outburst that sustains for the next half of the album length, then a brief respite and return to ominous dread, before the noise laced, erratic and intense finale kicks in. Powerful, depressive, but quite unforgettable if you're a drone doom fan - this is an album that may not be regular listening material, but in the right atmosphere, will blow you away, time and time again.

Live Entropy Black Metal