UNEARTHLY TRANCE — V (review)

UNEARTHLY TRANCE — V album cover Album · 2010 · Sludge Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
As the title suggests "V" is the 5th full-length studio album by US (Long Island/Brooklyn New York) sludge/doom metal act Unearthly Trance. The album was released in September 2010 by Relapse Records.

The music on the album is sludgy doom metal. The atmosphere reeks utter despair and the pain of living. The tempo varies from slow and heavy to ultra slow and crushingly heavy. The vocals are raw and shouting and sometimes distorted and aggressive. Unearthly Trance are a three-piece and that is reflected in their basic and organic guitar, bass, drums and vocals sound. There´s a primal and savage aggression in the sound that´s greatly enjoyable IMO. But the occasional lead guitar layer provides some texture. After listening to "V" there´s no doubt Unearthly Trance mean business.

The album overstays it´s welcome a bit with it´s 59:12 minutes of playing time and a bit more variation between tracks could have done the trick and made "V" an entertaining album throughout, but instead my attention wanders a couple of times during the playing time. It´s nothing serious though and taken one by one all tracks are quality material. That warrants a 3.5 star rating.

Uinuos syömein sota Pagan Black Metal