MASTER — The Witchhunt (review)

MASTER — The Witchhunt album cover Album · 2013 · Death Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
J-Man
Unlike many of their contemporaries, legendary death metal act Master has proven itself to be a force immune to 'current' musical trends and styles. For roughly a quarter-century, the band has delivered music that reeks of a time when death metal was still an emerging form of extreme thrash metal, and though this hasn't allowed Master to consistently shatter the boundaries of death metal, 2013's The Witchhunt is proof that their uncompromising dedication to everything old school can still result in a killer record!

Folks familiar with Master's previous work should more-or-less know what to expect from The Witchhunt, as the album's thrashy and politically relevant approach to death metal represents what the band has been creating for its entire career. Paul Speckmann's distinct growled vocals still remind me of what Lemmy would sound like as the frontman for an extreme metal act, and the playing is as tight as you'd expect from musicians with this level of experience.

The Witchhunt isn't the sort of record that will change anyone's perception of Master, but if you're a fan of catchy old-school American death metal, there are enough quality riffs here to keep your head banging for days!

J-Man wrote:
I look forward to reading it, Jonas!
Very similar to my yet unpublished review :-)

Beyond The Gates Power Metal