FIVE HORSE JOHNSON — The Last Men On Earth (review)

FIVE HORSE JOHNSON — The Last Men On Earth album cover Album · 2003 · Stoner Rock Buy this album from MMA partners
Kingcrimsonprog
Five Horse Johnson are an American Rock band, delivering a sound not dissimilar to Stoner Rock only a bit brighter and with much more Blues in the sound, and with less immediate Black Sabbath influence than bands like Sleep or Electric Wizard have.

Their fifth album, The Last Men On Earth was released in 2003 and is a great example of what the band are about.

The absolute highlight of the album for me has to be the second track, `Cherry Red,’ which I would recommend you to listen to if you are unsure about whether or not to pick up the album. Other strong moments include the swaggering bluesy ‘Soul Digger,’ and the enjoyable ‘Sawhill’ as well as ‘Blood Don’t Pay,’ which has a fantastic ZZ-Top feel, reminiscent of ‘Just Got Paid.’

The album has a big warm, almost analogue sound, with thumping toms, buzzing guitars, frequent harmonica and a gritty but not harsh vocal style. If any criticism had to be laid upon the album, the only real one to put forward is that it is a little repetitive and lacks any huge variety, but for one thing that’s a matter of taste and for another, the band deliver enough good time rock feeling to make up for that.

I definitely recommend this to fans of bands like Clutch, Kyuss, Sixty Watt Shaman or even Down.

Third Face Atmospheric Sludge Metal