SEVEN KINGDOMS — The Fire Is Mine (review)

SEVEN KINGDOMS — The Fire Is Mine album cover Album · 2012 · Power Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
A debt paid in steel...

Genre: power metal

Never having heard Seven Kingdoms before, I honestly did not know what to expect from this album. I mean, I knew they were a power metal band, but with power metal things can be anything from totally awesome to miserably cheesy.

I must say that I was positively surprised by this release. While an American band, Seven Kingdoms draw extensively on the upbeat nature of Euro power metal (primarily older Euro power metal along the lines of the Helloween of the mid 80s) and combine this with the harder edge of US power metal. This results in a collection of uptempo power metal songs built around fast double bass drum work and epic choruses.

Much to my positive surprise, Seven Kingdoms also draw extensively on classic metal, which means that there are plenty of galloping guitar riffs and, even better, twin guitar leads galore. Another thing that I like about this album is that, compared to a lot of other power metal, there are several passages which are riff-driven. And not only that, but a lot of the riffs are just as catchy as the vocal lines.

Sabrina Valentine's vocals are on the softer side but, while I prefer more hard edged female vocals, I think her voice has enough power to match the metallic instrumentation. Still, I was pretty surprised at finding that I actually liked her singing style very much. The overall musicianship is impeccable and characterized by both solid performance and virtuosity.

Definitely in the more appealing end of the power metal spectrum, Seven Kingdom's "The Fire Is Mine" rocks hard and, at the same time, is full of melodic appeal. Recommended to fans of both US and Euro power metal.

Paranoid Heavy Metal