THE GENTLE STORM — The Diary (review)

THE GENTLE STORM — The Diary album cover Album · 2015 · Symphonic Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
666sharon666
Ayreon mastermind Arjen Lucassen is back with his new project The Gentle Storm, this time with singer Anneke van Giersbergen (formerly of The Gathering) as his partner in crime. They've worked together before on Ayreon. Their first album together is the double disc release, The Diary. Lucassen is no stranger to the double album, most Ayreon albums are doubles. The Diary is a little different though as the two discs both contain the same songs, done in very different styles. Disc one is the Gentle version and disc two is the Storm version.

The Gentle version of The Diary is a progressive folk release, drawing on both Asian and Celtic influence. The Storm version on the other hand is best described as symphonic metal, but the same folk influences creep in giving it a folk metal edge while both progressive and power metal leanings can also be found. Regardless of version, The Diary is probably one of Lucassen's more accessible albums, as it's full of catchy songs, sung beautifully by Anneke. Both discs are impressive work but ultimately I personally find I prefer the Gentle version, despite being more of a metalhead. My favourites are Heart of Amsterdam, The Greatest Love and Shores of India.

adg211288 wrote:
I'm putting together my own review for this at the moment. I love the folk version of the album too but I think I'm leaning more towards the metal version overall. It's pretty close though.

Sins Of The Past Doom Metal