RUSH — Test for Echo (review)

RUSH — Test for Echo album cover Album · 1996 · Hard Rock Buy this album from MMA partners
2.5/5 ·
Counterparts wasn't quite a return to form - when "on form" for Rush includes classics like Moving Pictures, 2112, and A Farewell to Kings, returning to it is a difficult proposition indeed and Counterparts didn't quite get there. But it was their strongest album for some time and had some pretty good songs, so Rush fans had plenty of reason to be hopeful about the followup. "Maybe," everyone thought, "this is it, the breakthrough, the comeback, the definitive blowing away of the cobwebs which puts Rush back at the top of their game."

Spoiler: it isn't. Test For Echo isn't a terrible album, but it doesn't feel very necessary either; musically speaking, it's essentially Diet Counterparts, a retread of that territory with the sound toned down a little and a bit less inclined to get heavy from time to time. If you liked that album, Test For Echo might do it for you, though I suspect many of those who embraced Counterparts will find Test rather lightweight. If Counterparts didn't impress you or seem like much of a comeback, Test For Echo certainly won't win you over.

Só Quem Viu o Relâmpago à Sua Direita Sabe Atmospheric Black Metal