REINCARNATE — Take it or Leave it (review)

REINCARNATE — Take it or Leave it album cover Demo · 1982 · NWoBHM Buy this album from MMA partners
Certif1ed
Great NWoBHM fare from Reincarnate, with a kind of distinctive charm and wild energy that's immediately appealing, and completely transcends the otherwise average nature of the songwriting. The A side is a strong song called Take It or Leave It - and, yes, that's the immediate impression.

But something about it worms its way into your banger-bone, or whichever part of the anatomy is responsible for making a person want to nod their head uncontrollably - and for the songs duration at least, you're hooked.

Once it's over, you've forgotten it - which is kinda cool, as I hate songs that take residence in some hard-to-get-at part of the back of your brain that you'd otherwise use for concentrating in lectures or meetings, or getting to sleep at night.

There are also no less than two guitar solos on offer here - so real value for money for the serious air guitar afficiando. We're not talking serious technical shreddery, of course, but then again, it's way beyond the one-finger wonders and bluff merchants, with arcing curves and nimble-fingered runs and squeals - just the ticket.

The flipside is an altogether stranger affair, and much more distinctive, with beautiful Phrygian (read "Egyptian") flavoured passages and unexpected details in the arrangement that make it a pure delight. Inna heavy kind of way, you understand.

There's not much here not to like - sure, it's a bit rough here and there, and instantly forgettable (in a good way), but the vocals are a bit better than yer average NWoBHM demo quality, which is nice, the guitars have a smokin' tone, and the ride is a hugely enjoyable one, if not an adrenaline-rich rollercoaster.

If I was getting a compilation of "Best of NWoBHM" together, I definitely wouldn't want to leave this off, and even though it'd probably end up on CD 3 or 4 or something, it'd be one of those that you constantly re-discover.

Check it out!

FISTULA (OH)

Pillars
EARTH AND PILLARS
Train_Food· 3 days ago
Earth and Pillars - Tides (2014)
EARTH AND PILLARS