ARCH / MATHEOS — Sympathetic Resonance (review)

ARCH / MATHEOS — Sympathetic Resonance album cover Album · 2011 · Progressive Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
Coffin Joe
..A sympathetic resonance of Fates Warning

The band is a mix of current and ex-members of renowned progressive metal band Fates Warning - so you know the bands pedigree should guaranty solid musicianship but also super high expectations. Luckily Arch/Matheos more than delivers on every front. A sympathetic resonance does have a strong Fates Warning sound, but still manages to stand on its own legs, and does not sound as a side project. Original intended as an EP, the project grew into a 55 minute progressive joyride. The record is very technical, and really showcases what we all love about progressive metal. It deserves to be played on a good stereo, to hear and appriciate the craftsmanship & complexity. The record is very guitar driven, and with Jim Matheos fingers on the fret-board, you're treated with both powerful riffs and beautiful melodic guitar-pieces. What I love about this album, is that even though complex & super proggy, it's never a record just for musicians. It's easy to pick up, even for non-progheads, with really strong melodies and hooks - I would go so far as to say, this could be a great introduction for most metal & rocks-heads into progressive metal.

It's impossible to review Arch/Matheos without giving a standing applause to the vocals delivered by Jon Arch. He has a very distinct way of singing, and takes the record to a whole new level. He sings in a very high pitched fashion, that suits the music perfectly, making it truly unique.

I am overly pleased with the record and would recommend it to all rock & metal-fans!

Uinuos syömein sota Pagan Black Metal