BLIND GUARDIAN — Somewhere Far Beyond (review)

BLIND GUARDIAN — Somewhere Far Beyond album cover Album · 1992 · Power Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
666sharon666
Though they've made other great albums, the years 1990 - 1995 remain the quintessential period of Blind Guardian's career. Starting with Tales from the Twilight World through to Imaginations from the Other Side the German band turned out one power metal classic after another. The middle of the three albums produced in that time is 1992's Somewhere Far Beyond, which has many claims to being the very best of them all despite stiff competition from its 1995 follow-up.

Here Blind Guardian deliver an album that has both fast paced power/speed metal anthems like Journey Through the Dark, one of their trademark folk ballads in The Bard's Song: In the Forest and the song that arguably remains their best ever, the title track; a 7:30 epic anthem themed around Stephen King's The Dark Tower novel series. And they still leave room for surprises on the album. Black Chamber is one such track. Though it's not even a full minute long, the way it's just Hansi Kürsch accompanied by piano is really quite the effective interlude after the belter that was Journey Through the Dark. It sounds like something that wouldn't be out of place on any classic rock album. Later The Piper's Calling is, as one might guess, a bagpipe piece, an element that then recurs in the title track.

I've always found it tough to choose between Somewhere Far Beyond and it's follow-up Imaginations from the Other Side and that's because, to repeat myself from my earlier review of the other album, they are both defining releases of the power metal genre. But really, why choose, when you can have both?

Attribution: http://metaltube.freeforums.org/blind-guardian-somewhere-far-beyond-t3583.html

Thresholds Sludge Metal
BETHMOORA
New World - New Eyes Hard Rock
HOUSE OF LORDS
Live At Once Atmospheric Sludge Metal
SEA
Impermanence Atmospheric Sludge Metal
SEA
El viaje astral del cuy Grindcore
SHAMAN ENFERMO