SODOM — Sacred Warpath (review)

SODOM — Sacred Warpath album cover EP · 2014 · Thrash Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
In anticipation of the thrash gods...

Genre: thrash metal

Essentially an appetizer for an upcoming full-length album from the German thrash gods in Sodom, "Sacred Warpath" features one original, previously unreleased track and three live recordings of older tracks.

The original track, which is - of course - also the the title track, was originally meant to be included on the upcoming album, but the band figured they'd treat their fans to a taste of what the album is going to sound like. 'Sacred Warpath' is a relatively complex composition, but it still captures the rawness and aggression that characterize Sodom's brand of thrash metal. There is a hint of melody and a modern vibe to it, and this blends in well the Sodom thrash sound. If this is representative of the upcoming album, then fans really have something to look forward to.

The live tracks are pretty well selected as they capture various aspects of Sodom's sound with 'The Saw Is The Law' capturing their heavier side (and also their humorous sound, as a cover version of 'Surfin' Bird' is incorporated into it), while 'Stigmatized' represents the primitive and brutal side of Sodom, and 'City of God' their more melodic side. The live tracks are okay, production-wise as well.

Tom Angelripper himself has stated that he expects this release to become a rarity and a collector's item, so fans of the band btter get their finger out and buy a copy before it's too late.

Paranoid Heavy Metal

Blood on Blood Heavy Metal
RUNNING WILD
Muse of the Nightside Black Metal
MOON ORACLE

PRAISE THE PLAGUE - Beyond (official video)
PRAISE THE PLAGUE