SLAYER — Reign in Blood (review)

SLAYER — Reign in Blood album cover Album · 1986 · Thrash Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
Stephen
'Reign In Blood' is considered a groundbreaking release by SLAYER, the first album to enter Billboard 200 and highly praised by thrash fans all over the world as a pure five-stars album, but I honestly think this is one of the most overrated album in the history of thrash. Comparing this to 'Master of Puppets', 'Peace Sells', and 'Among The Living' which were released around that time, 'Reign In Blood' is definitely at the bottom list, but that doesn't mean that this is a horrible album.

It has its moment, but as an overall album, I'm not sure whether it's realistically can be valued above 70% because apart from the fact that it's too short of an album, exposing the fact that SLAYER writing capability is limited and half of these songs are basically felt the same. Outstanding tracks are no doubt, the legendary 'Angel of Death' and 'Raining Blood'. Other songs I like are 'Piece By Piece', 'Altar of Sacrifice', and 'Postmortem'.

Five other tracks are basically kinda disappointing, especially 'Necrophobic' and 'Jesus Saves'. With brutally fast tempo, I don't see any variation in the singing style and riffs pattern. 'Criminally Insane' and 'Reborn' are also felt too flat, probably only 'Epidemic' is a bit better. With only half great tracks in a 29 minutes album, I need to underline the weakness of the songwriting creativity and quality. This is an okay album, but definitely not a great one.

Tupan wrote:
Yes, interesting to see another view point! But for me, this album is killer.
One of my favorite albums. 29 minutes of pure aggressive bliss. It´s always interesting to hear another opinion though.

Mir Zur Feier Melodic Death Metal