DWELLERS — Pagan Fruit (review)

DWELLERS — Pagan Fruit album cover Album · 2014 · Stoner Rock Buy this album from MMA partners
Devoured by lions...

Genre: "gut rock"

Recently released, Pagan Fruit is the second release by the Salt Lake City-based trio The Dwellers... oh, sorry, Dwellers, for there is no 'the'! The trio describe their music as "gut rock". I am not quite sure how to decipher this instance of figurative language, but it could be a reference to the cover artwork of the band's 2012-EP Good Mourning Harakiri.

So what is this "gut rock"?

Well, it seems to be a type of heavy hard rock which draws extensively on stoner rock and sludge rock also featuring elements of post-metal and southern rock. Stylistically, the songs on the album stretch from introvert alternative rock tunes over groovy metal-tinged tracks to more psychedelic pieces. But, at all times, the atmosphere is kept dark and brooding, which obviously suits the music very well. For instance, 'Return to the Sky' emanates a dark sense of psychedelia akin to what you might hear in a song by The Doors, while 'A Rare Eagle' features elements of southern rock and heavy blues, and 'Devoured by Lions' is a heavy and groovy hard rocker which even features some slightly punky elements.

So, obviously "gut rock" is an interesting kind of music, and the "gut rock" featured on this album is definitely recommended to fans of heavy blues, post-metal, sludge rock and metal, stoner metal, and psychedelic hard rock.

(review originally posted at seaoftranquility.org)

Yeah... now you mention it, Kylesa fans might like this. Acroos Tundras fans will probably like it too.
Anything like Red Fang, Black Tusk, Black Moth or Kylesa?

Hell Sludge Metal

Bosh66· 11 hours ago
Pillars
EARTH AND PILLARS
Train_Food· 4 days ago
Earth and Pillars - Tides (2014)
EARTH AND PILLARS