EPHEL DUATH — On Death and Cosmos (review)

EPHEL DUATH — On Death and Cosmos album cover EP · 2012 · Avant-garde Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
"On Death and Cosmos" is a 3 track, 19:43 minutes long EP release by Italian avant garde metal act Ephel Duath. The EP was released through Agonia Records in June 2012. For this particular release mainman and only constant member Davide Tiso (Guitars, Bass, Keyboards, Vocals) are helped out by a couple of rather prolific musicians in bassist Steve DiGiorgio (Sadus, Death, Charred Walls of the Damned...among others), vocalist Karyn Crisis (Crisis) and drummer Marco Minnemann (Necrophagist, Tony MacAlpine)).

The music on the EP is avant garde extreme metal with aggressive raspy vocals, time signatures changes and dissonant riffing. All three tracks are in a similar style even though the post rock start to "Raqia" stands out a bit, but the track soon moves into more familar territory again. There´s a semi-jazzy fusion edge to the drumming, but other than that the jazz influence that was pretty strong in the some of the band´s earlier work isn´t that strong here. The musicianship is strong throughout the EP but that´s really no surprise when you know the musicians involved. The tracks have a bit of trouble holding my attention though. I hear lots of potential and great ideas, but there are no real climaxes and after the EP is finished I´m left a bit frustrated. I don´t expect an Ephel Duath release to be a hook laden hit parade, but a couple of memorable moments wouldn´t have hurt.

Still "On Death and Cosmos" is a well produced EP and despite my reservations I still consider it a quality product and a 3 - 3.5 star (65%) rating is deserved.

Get Loud! Hardcore Punk