MORKOBOT — MoRbO (review)

MORKOBOT — MoRbO album cover Album · 2011 · Non-Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
Ultra Morkobot...

Genre: avant-garde bass metal

Noisy, chaotic, technical, challenging and experimental, "Morbo" is a collection of two-bass attack instrumental tracks from Italian weirdo-act Morkobot.

The two basses are heavily distorted, and very often play separate ostinatos, while the drums seem to deliver a flurry of chaotic beats. In reality, the apparent chaos is caused by the music being very complex and advanced, and the drums in particular make use of odd meters and rhythmically ambiguous beats, generally avoiding straight 1-2-3-4 beats (even in the 4/4-sections). While the two-bass, two-ostinato attack also seems chaotic, there is an underlying order of things here - again based on incredible musicianship - as the basses tend to actually operate with quite compact and solid ostinatos which are subjected to considerable repetition. Granted, Morkobot do experiment with noise a lot of the time, which definitely is a another factor in the apparent chaos, but, just like all other aspects of the release, the noise is actually handled with great control and precision by the musicians.

Interestingly, "Morbo" is incredibly technical and controlled, yet it comes across as very stripped down and minimalistic - it is chaotic and ordered at the same time.

"Morbo" is metal experimentation taken to a new level, and if you like avant-garde and challenging music performed with great skill and precision, you should check out this release.

Stooge wrote:
2 bassists and no guitar? Sounds interesting.
Sounds great too ;-)
Xaxaar wrote:
I was interested in this album before the review, but think you convinced me to grab it - looks great.

Mir Zur Feier Melodic Death Metal