MEGADETH — Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good! (review)

MEGADETH — Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good! album cover Album · 1985 · Thrash Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
The Angry Scotsman
The debut album my Megadeth and its leader, the brilliant and blood thirsty Dave Mustaine, "Killing is My Business..." achieves exactly what Dave set out to do: Be faster, more intense, and more technical than Metallica.

This is a great album. Fast. Intense. A true thrash metal album, as it an assault from start to finish. The Megadeth sound is here though. Complex riffs, great guitar work, awesome song structure and just well composed songs. All the instruments work together well. Awesome solos, (complimented by great rhythm work). The drumming is good on the album, not the best but holds its own and then some. Gar Samuelson was originally a jazz fusion drummer (played with Chris Poland in a jazz fusion band) and lays down some great beats.

However, that brings me to a major downside of the album. Sound quality. Usually this is not an issue for me. On this album though the quality is poor enough that it DOES detract from the sound. While impressive, I found this album unlistenable. It sounds like a mess, and makes it tougher to really appreciate the instruments (especially the drumming). With a band like Megadeth you need to hear it all for the full scope of it all. I did cave and get the remaster (I am a stubborn traditionalist) and the sound quality is much better! Guitar and drums heard so much better, and my opinion of this album soared. Must say though, the censored version of "These Boots" on the remaster is terrible. Complete song killer.

Great album and impressive debut. Fast, complex, intense, well composed and structured. Impressive display of skill and musicianship.

Four Stars (but please get the remaster!)

Uinuos syömein sota Pagan Black Metal