TRIVIUM — In Waves (review)

TRIVIUM — In Waves album cover Album · 2011 · Melodic Metalcore Buy this album from MMA partners
"In Waves" is the 5th full-length studio album by US metalcore act Trivium. The album was released through Roadrunner Records in August 2011. Trivium are one of the most commercially successful metalcore act in the last 10 years and "In Waves" again prove why that is.

Trivium play a combination of metalcore, thrash and more traditional heavy metal loaded with catchy hooks and chorus lines. The tracks are in general structurally simple and easily accessible. Matt Heafy´s vocals are the focal point in the music and he masters quite an arsenal of different vocal styles from clean singing, more raw thrashy singing (still clean) and shouting/screaming metalcore type singing. The instrumental part of the music is very well played but at times the riffs work more as backing to the vocals than as a punchy and memorable part of the music. The music also feature quite a bit of melodic lead work. Either as themes under the vocal parts or as solos. "In Waves" is produced by Colin Richardson (Fear Factory, Carcass...among others) and it´s powerful and clear.

While I feel that "In Waves" could have prospered from a bit more grit and edgy songwriting, it´s a great album for what it is. Fans of the metalcore genre are pretty sure to find this one a greatly enjoyable album and a 3.5 - 4 star (75%) rating is fully deserved.

Also sprach Futura Black Metal