FURDIDURKE — Furdidurke (review)

FURDIDURKE — Furdidurke album cover Boxset / Compilation · 2010 · Black Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
Vehemency
Along with the seven inch EP named Native, this compilation is my introduction to Furdidurke, an obscure and raw black metal band from USA. After seeing that it shares (I think?) members of Cirrhus, I was definitely into checking out this band too.

Furdidurke seems to like to hide in obscurity: the tape layout is minimal with no song titles and the only actual text is ”Previously unreleased, recorded 2005-2006”. Musically, Furdidurke is very raw black metal: the sound is very noisy and wrecking, and the songs are most likely live-recorded rehearsals. The screaming vocals are like shouts for help from beneath the massive layer of noisy instrumentation. As a 48-minute package this might be too much for one straight listen, but after all, this is a compilation, not a considered album whole.

Furdidurke’s real magic lies in the guitar riffs. The first track, that actually appears around three times in different versions during the tape and is actually called ”Native to a Noxious Glow” on the Native EP, kicks the tape in with almost upbeat sounding riffs. Upbeat, but totally maniacal. It is clear that the guitarist can handle his instrument well, it is just hidden beneath the low fidelity production. This unique guitar work continues throughout the compilation and keeps the music interesting.

Noisy black metal has its own circles nowadays and Furdidurke is definitely one of the best of those acts along with Cirrhus. Furdidurke is known from many small releases with maybe 5 minutes of material on a split, so this is a very sweet compilation to own. Furdidurke fans will certainly be pleased.

Electric Pentagram Power Metal