OZZY OSBOURNE — Down To Earth (review)

OZZY OSBOURNE — Down To Earth album cover Album · 2001 · Heavy Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
Kingcrimsonprog
Ozzy Osbourne released his eighth studio album Down To Earth in 2001, which was his first work as a solo artist in six years, and his second album since his planned retirement from music after No Mo Tears.

Zack Wylde is on board as the guitarist, filling the album full of pinch harmonics and metal riffs. Faith No More’s Mike Bordin handles the drums and Rob Trujillo plays the bass.

For the most part, Down To Earth is full of either mid tempo metal songs with a Black Label Society sound or big ballads with keyboards and string arrangements. Highlights include the famous single ‘Gets Me Through,’ as well as ‘Facing Hell,’ and ‘Running Out Of Time.’

The album is fairly strong, if a little unremarkable, a bunch of good but not life changing post-millennial metal songs, all of mid-level-heaviness and most played at mid tempo. When you are listening to the album you’ll enjoy it, but not a lot of it will carry through with you afterwards.

On the positive side, there is a lot to enjoy guitar wise, with big guitar solos going off regularly, which kind of makes up for the slight overproduction on Ozzy’s excellent vocals.

There is more good to say about it than bad, and overall Down To Earth is certainly worth a look for Ozzy fans; not exactly his best work nor anywhere near his worst, but worth a shot if you are already a fan.

We All Die Death-Doom Metal