UNLEASHED — Dawn Of The Nine (review)

UNLEASHED — Dawn Of The Nine album cover Album · 2015 · Death Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
Nightfly
Unleashed are not the most technical death metal band, they’re not the fastest or the most brutal. They are however one of the most consistent with an unbroken run of strong albums going way back to 2004 with Sworn Allegiance when they upped the death metal quotient after their death ‘n’ roll flirtations. Dawn Of The Nine continues that trend and whilst it may not quite be a career peak it’s the equal of most and better than many of their other albums.

Not surprisingly after 25 years Unleashed are an incredibly solid and tight band with strong musicianship from all. By death metal standards they’re one of the more accessible bands in the genre, partly down to what I said above but also like its predecessors, Dawn Of The Nine is full of captivating riffs and inventive songs with some great guitar solos. There’s not really one song that stands out as a highlight but neither is there any weak ones. Most are mid paced, by death metal standards anyway, but there is liberal use of blastbeats and the title tracks goes the other way and slows things right down to funeral march pace and very effective it is too. Those who struggle with death metal growls will find Johnny’s vocals more accessible than most and you can clearly hear his lyrics.

In all another excellent album from Unleashed with a good production and one that I've got on heavy rotation and no doubt will be for quite a while yet. Well worth checking out.

I´ve never been much of an Unleashed fan, but I´ll probably give this one a listen like I´ve given all of their previous releases a listen.

Purgatory Deathcore