CONSORTIUM PROJECT — Consortium Project III: Terra Incognita (The Undiscovered World) (review)

CONSORTIUM PROJECT — Consortium Project III: Terra Incognita (The Undiscovered World) album cover Album · 2003 · Progressive Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
Nemesis...

Genre: progressive power metal

Originally released in 2003 and also the third installment in Lion Music's series of reissues of Ian Parry's Consortium Project, this album, along with the other Lion Music's reissues, is specifically interesting in relation to the evolution of the artistic Consortium Project.

The style is basically the same type of prog power metal, as on "I: Criminals & Kings" and "II: Continuum in Extremis", or rather, it is a further development thereof. Where "II: Continuum in Extremis" was a radical improvement over the somewhat tame and forgettable "I: Criminals & Kings," "III: Terra Incognita (The Undiscovered World)" has the same high level of quality as its predecessor, but the overall sound is adjusted and a more progressive and more symphonic dimension is added.

As on its predecessor, the riffing on this disc quite strong, and Ian Parry makes good use of both groovy and classic metal-rock riffage, combining it with power metal aesthetics in the form of thundering bass drums and big, catchy choruses as well as an overall epic feel. So in the power metal department, everything is as it should be.

As the album's introduction indicates, Ian Parry has radically upped the symphonic dimension on this album and the keyboards have been given a more central role in the overall sound - but without being too cheesy. There are also more progressive elements on this album than on the predecessors, such as odd time signature and other quirky things, and the synths also contribute with spacey effects, known from the progressive rock of the 70s. And through oriental theme that characterizes this disc, is also helping to generate an interesting sound. So even if the quality is the same as its predecessor, the music still will probably strike many as being a bit more interesting on this release.

If you are a fan of pompous, but not cheesy, power metal with a progressive twist and plenty of melody, you should check this album out.

Hold Back the Dawn Death Metal
GRAVEYARD
Rhetoric Of The Image Sludge Metal
TORPOR
The Day I Became Us Deathcore
PRINCIPLES OF MERGER
The Apophis Solution Deathcore
BECOMING AKH

Between Two Oceans - Nightmare (Studio Live)
BETWEEN TWO OCEANS