WHYZDOM — Blind? (review)

WHYZDOM — Blind? album cover Album · 2012 · Symphonic Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
dtguitarfan
Whyzdom is a French Symphonic Power Metal band with some Progressive influences, formed in 2007 by guitarist/composer Vynce Leff. Whyzdom takes orchestral arrangements and a choir, and combines classically styled melodies with Power Metal riffs. For this release, their second full length album, singer Elvyne Lorient replaces former lead vocalist Telya Melane. At times during the album, Elvyne's vocals reminded me of Amy Lee from Evanescence.

Whyzdom's strength seems to be rooted in Vynce's ability to combine the orchestra and choir as members of the band, blending their sounds with the distorted guitars and synths seamlessly. Often, melodies are repeated back and forth by different parts of the band in a call/answer style, or played by one instrument and then expounded upon by another, which adds to this effect of seamless integration.

With the combination of Power and Symphonic Metal and a female singer, it's hard not to compare Whyzdom to Nightwish, and these days it seems there is a surge of female-fronted metal bands appearing on the scenes fighting to distinguish themselves. For me, though I felt that the album has a solid package to offer, I didn't feel like it stood out from the crowd enough to earn higher marks, but I am sure there are Symphonic and Power Metal experts who would disagree with me on that point. But even with my hesitance to praise highly, I would recommend this to fans of Female-fronted Power and Symphonic Metal, and I did find the album to be an enjoyable release – a good use of 80 minutes.

Originally written for www.seaoftranquility.org