ULVER — Bergtatt: Et Eeventyr I 5 Capitler (review)

ULVER — Bergtatt: Et Eeventyr I 5 Capitler album cover Album · 1995 · Atmospheric Black Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
Primeval Scum
YOU. Stop scrolling down the page. Yes, you. You should listen to Bergtatt. It's not your standard black metal, I promise. It's my second-favorite black metal album. Everything about it is perfect, from the vocals to the musicianship to the song arrangements. Ulver smashed the standards set by the black metal bands before them and created their own, one that no one since has exceeded. It's beautifully atmospheric and seamlessly integrated with acoustic and Scandinavian folk sounds. It has quite the celestial, ethereal atmosphere. Garm's vocals are amazing, how he switches between his angelic chanted clean vocals and otherworldy shrieks.

I Troldskog Faren Vild is an absolute black metal classic. It is the standout song on the album. The extended guitar solo at the end is one of the most spine-chilling moments in all of metal. "Soelen Gaaer Bag Aase Need" and "Graablick Blev Hun Vaer" are almost equally good. The clean vocals are surprisingly PERFECT for the music and I absolutely love the abrupt dynamic changes showcased on these first three tracks. This is truly serene yet sinister, enchanting music. It cannot get much better. I especially love the folk sections Garm adds, like the beginning of Capitel III, most of Capitel IV, and the end of Capitel V.

Oh gosh, I'm going on and on like a fanboy. Oops. I'll just let you listen to it for yourself.

It´s not more than a couple of weeks ago that I purchased a promo CD of Bergtatt. I know the album already, but I thought the promo CD was a fun item to own.

Purgatory Deathcore