ENRAPTURE — Another Green Drought (review)

ENRAPTURE — Another Green Drought album cover Album · 2021 · Atmospheric Sludge Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
BitterJalapeno
Released in January 2021, “Another Green Drought” is the debut studio album by Norwegian progressive post-metal band Enrapture. From the off, it is clear we have a trio of skilled musicians who play as a tight unit and display a high standard of song writing. The material has a progressive structure in parts with varying time signatures and rhythmically complex arrangements throughout.

One highlight of the album is the opener “Badlands” which pummels the listener with a healthy dose of powerful, crunchy riffs, aggressive, technical drumming and harsh screamed vocals. The penultimate “Groundswells” is another highlight which boasts riff after riff of killer sludge before building into an atmospheric epic.

The album is of a consistent quality throughout but the greatest joy for me is the successful juxtaposition of the brutally heavy side of metal and the uplifting qualities of post-rock music which does not always work for me. On this release, it’s truly majestic and transports me between heaven and hell and sometimes to both simultaneously – the best example of this is showcased in “Floodwaters and the Desert” which features a dreamlike soundscape overlain with a mixture of harsh screaming, some clean vocals and delightful mix of heavy and uplifting lead guitar parts.

Highly recommended to fans of Intronaut, Mastodon and Tool.

let me know what you think :)
Bosh66 wrote: