MONDRIAN OAK — Aeon (review)

MONDRIAN OAK — Aeon album cover Album · 2012 · Atmospheric Sludge Metal Buy this album from MMA partners
"Aeon" is the 2nd full-length studio album by Italian post metal act Mondrian Oak. The album was released through Eibon Records in February 2012. Mondrian Oak was formed in 2007 and they released their debut full-length studio album "Through Early Seed" in 2009. The band consists of two guitarists, a drummer and a bassist.

The album features 7 tracks of instrumental and atmospheric post metal. Sometimes heavy and doomy and sometimes more mellow and atmospheric. The band play a type of post metal which involves a lot of repetition and while that approach works well for the most part, some of the more ambient repetitive parts drag for too long. One of the assets of the album is how dynamic the music is. The contrast between the heavier and the more low volume parts paired with the dark and melancholic atmosphere is successful to my ears. The organic sound production only enhances the listening experience further.

...here and there I do find that I miss a vocalist, but it´s not a major issue and probably an aquired taste. I just feel that some parts scream for vocals.

"Aeon" is overall a very intriguing listening experience and a quality product too. A 3.5 star (75%) rating is fully deserved.

Dissipating Eternity Deathcore