KING CRIMSON — USA

KING CRIMSON - USA cover

Live album · 1975

Filed under Proto-Metal
By KING CRIMSON

1. Walk On... No Pussyfooting / Larks' Tongues In Aspic Part Two (6:45)
2. Lament (4:05)
3. Exiles (7:04)
4. Asbury Park (6:50)
5. Easy Money (6:32)
6. 21st Century Schizoid Man (7:32)

- Bill Bruford / drums, percussion
- David Cross / violin, keyboards
- Robert Fripp / guitar, mellotron
- John Wetton / bass, vocals
- Eddie Jobson / violin

May 3, 1975
Island

Recorded live at the Casino, Asbury Park, 28 June 1974 and at the Palace Theatre, Providence, USA, 30 June 1974 (track 7).

Reissued in 2002 with the following bonus tracks:

UsaUsa
Vicotr Entertainment 2016
Usa by King CrimsonUsa by King Crimson
Jvc Japan
King Crimson: LIZARD USA Original WLP Promo Copy Vinyl RecordKing Crimson: LIZARD USA Original WLP Promo Copy Vinyl Record
Atlantic
U.S.A. - 1st - EXU.S.A. - 1st - EX
Island
Showing 7 items | Cache expiring in 8h | Keyword-based search | Best seller rank | More results on Amazon.com

More places to buy metal & KING CRIMSON music

KING CRIMSON USA reviews

Purists might sniff at the overdubs provided by Eddie Jobson - who was never even in any of the King Crimson lineups of the 1970s - to some tracks on this live album, but it's still an exciting document of the Larks'-to-Red-era version of the band. More or less all the tracks come from Larks' Tongues In Aspic or Starless and Bible Black, with an early version of Starless at the end if you have the expanded remaster. Of the major live releases of this iteration of the band, it obviously isn't as expansive as The Great Deceiver; nor does the show here seem to be quite as energetic or interesting as the one captured on The Night Watch, which features more improvisations than this one and has a more frenzied rendition of 21st Century Schizoid Man (this time around the band just do a fairly close cover of the original rather than zooming off on their own unique tangent as in Night Watch).

Still, if you already have those two and like them, it comes heartily recommended - there's a teensy bit of overlap between this set and the shows collected on The Great Deceiver, but not so much as to render the album irrelevant. And when it came out in the mid-1970s it must have been a godsend for Crimson fans to finally have a decent-quality live album as opposed to the miserable Earthbound.

FMOTP
I'm a little surprised at the lack of reviews/ratings for King Crimson's USA. I once read a statement by Maynard James Keenan calling King Crimson the biggest musical influence on Tool. By the time USA was released, centering on tracks from the 3 previous albums, metal was clearly a large part of King Crimson's musical recipe. These are great performances of great music. My favorite tracks are the two bonus songs from the 2002 reissue; it's the version to get. I haven't heard THE NIGHT WATCH or THE GREAT DECEIVER compilations for comparison, but I think the sound quality of USA is perfectly acceptable. The only consideration that reduces my rating of USA, for the MMA website, is its place on the "metal" scale.

• Vano1