MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is Game of Thrones overrated?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Is Game of Thrones TV show overrated?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [41.18%]
3 [17.65%]
4 [23.53%]
3 [17.65%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Game of Thrones overrated?
    Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 8:21am
Please, elaborate on your votes.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 9:28am
Most definitely...not. Why? Because it's the only fantasy adaptation I've seen outside of the Tolkien ones that seems to care about being faithful to its source. And it's probably more faithful than those as well. Sure it's made it's share of changes but so far it hasn't done anything overly disappointing. Except perhaps the Season 4 ending. They could have had a major cliffhanger in that (fans of the books will know what or rather who I'm talking about) but instead decided to end on Arya sailing away on Braavos. I'm sure I wasn't the only fan of the novels expecting a much different ending to the season.

But one disappointment isn't going to change my faith in the show. Back to my first point, minor changes and one disappointment aside it's been faithful to good source material. Good source material that could have been treated much worse. For example Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth books that are quite similar in tone to GRRM's were also adapted for TV as Legend of the Seeker and those got turned into a family friendly show that seemed to go out of its way to do the exact opposite to established canon. Can you imagine what Game of Thrones would be like done like that? I read a lot of fantasy books so I know they aren't all like Tolkien's stuff. Most are for the mature reader and anyone whose seen even one episode of Game of Thrones knows that the show is very strictly for a mature audience. I can't name one other fantasy show that's really captured the way the bulk of the genre's literacy is. Game of Thrones does though. 

I've also seen other fantasy films aside from Hobbit/LotR ones are all of them were either quite terrible or decidedly average. I guess one of the better ones I watched was In the Name of the King (considering this is Uwe Boll film that's probably saying something) but like with the Goodkind adaptation it went out of its way to ignore canon, though this one was based on a game rather than a novel and I guess game adaptations are never that great. Still major miscast for the protagonist. I mean this is what the protagonist of Dungeon Siege is supposed to look like:

And here's who they cast:

Now Jason Statham is a great actor and all, but we can all see the glaring problem here can't we. WinkGame of Thrones would be very different if they decided to change the genders of certain characters.

Bottom line is Game of Thrones fills a niche on TV that in my experience has never been done well before and it does it faithfully to it's source. Therefore as a fantasy fan it is most definitely not overrated and fully deserves the recognition it's received.

Edited by adg211288 - 15 Oct 2014 at 12:06pm
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 9:30am
I've never seen it, so I can't really give an opinion.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 2:44pm
Nope. I agree with what Adam said, but also it's a rare case of great source material falling into the hands of people who were actually capable of adapting it into another form and making the appropriate changes so it'll work, while staying as true to the overall heart of the series. Basically: HBO is a channel that carries the kinds of shows that would never make it onto network television without severe changes that would make them much less effective, and A Song of Ice and Fire is possibly the darkest, most mature fantasy series out there. that would certainly never work on network television, and also way too big and overloaded with material to work even as a series of movies (I can't imagine how many movies Peter Jackson would require to show all the events of book 3, for example: The show took two seasons to go through it, and at times we only got the cliff notes versions of less important scenes, with some stuff entirely removed.) So yeah, the series and HBO are pretty much a perfect fit for each other, so it's not surprising the show is as good as it is.

ps: And yeah, Adam, I was expecting season 4 to end with a certain Tyrion scene. I was actually a bit disappointed with how they handled his scenes in that episode altogether, but obviously that's just a minor thing in what was otherwise still an excellent season: The end of episode 8 in particular, couldn't have possibly been filmed any better. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 2:47pm
^ The scene I was thinking of has nothing to do with Tyrion by the way. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 2:57pm
Oh, I think I know the other thing you're talking about now (the epilogue scene in book 3). I'm glad they didn't do that yet, actually. It's not really something I'm looking forward to. I would have ended with a certain scene, especially because it would have fit in perfectly with how the season started. That, and it was my most anticipated scene of the episode.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

I've never seen it, so I can't really give an opinion.
This
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 3:25pm
Well they changed a fair bit of the timeline for the King's Landing plot, so if you talking about what I think you're talking about that event had already happened by that stage, well ahead of Tyrion's escape. 

I'm disappointed that they didn't do the epilogue because it's seemed like they laid all the groundwork for it in season 3. Sure she's not a major character in books 4 and 5 but she's involved in at least two POV characters stories and her absence (and it does look like they're completely cutting her out full stop, unless they're simply trying to not spoil the next season) means those plots are going to need changes. Well one's plot was changed already I guess. 

You know I'm going to admit it, I do have some concerns over season 5. The producers might be deliberately misleading us by leaving certain major casting for two storylines out (Dorne and Greyjoy Family) but the lack of such announcements is kinda worrying. Even with the changes and omissions they did the first three books well across the first four seasons. It would be a shame if it started to fall part now. 
GG2U

rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 3:33pm
I've only watched the first season, and I enjoyed it.  I'm currently in the long drawn out process of reading the series.  I am about a quarter of the way through the 3rd book.  I tend to only read a page or two at a time except when I am on vacation so it takes me quite a while to get through each book.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 3:55pm
I've only seen the odd programme. I always imagined the attraction was all the tits on show. Obviously it's deeper than that then Embarrassed
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 4:07pm
^Yeah, that part of it is just an effect of it being on HBO, more than anything else. They sure love their sex scenes, and nudity in general. (HBO, I mean: Almost all their shows I've watched have had excessive amounts of sex and nudity.)
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 5:49pm
Hail HBO then Beer
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Hail HBO then Beer

Hell yes!!! Cool

Love me some nudity and you know.. Big smile

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 7:07pm
f) never watched it
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 12:25am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

f) never watched it
This. I'll read them all first and then complain about the differences.
<- Click on this!
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 7:06am
I've been into fantasy (although I prefer scifi) my whole life and somehow I find SoIaF not very good. I like well written books, with elegant plot construction and focus on quality rather than quantity of characters. Martin's books seem to be quite the opposite in my opinion. Style is decent at best, plots are meandering endlessly, there are too many characters and the sole purpose of their existance is either seize power, resist waves of evil or die in a gruesome way (or both). Now, since I have all fans reading that really mad at my arrogant rant, I'll just tell you what I liked Tongue I think character development in some cases is well thought out and interesting (Arya as the good child shaped by cruelty... everyone is shaped by cruelty in this show by the way, the world is cruel and dictates every move of every character regardless of their moral profile). The world is unforgiving and dark even though I don't like the "let's put dragons into a low fantasy setting because... DRAGONS!" Also, the cult of fire plot is a nice touch. All in all it's a hit or miss story with a decently realistic yet a little hardcore depiction of medieval Britain politics. I like it, but I think with its 95% scores it's just heavily overrated.

Oh man, I sound like a prick.

Edited by bartosso - 19 Apr 2015 at 8:50am
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 6:22pm
From what I've seen, the show is pretty lame in the way that it's already a tired concept of medieval warfare. Same goes for The Walking Dead, which is probably an even more cliche idea. 

However, being overrated does not make something bad. I've given the show fair chances, but I just don't seem to like it. I think it's sort of bad to put "I Despise It" in a poll discussion something being overrated, not bad. 

No offense to the fans whatsoever. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 12:16pm
Yes it is Tongue

Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2014 at 3:55pm
Haven't seen it. I've seen Sharknado, though :-P
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2014 at 10:53pm
Is this the show that has lesbian action? If it is then there is no way in hell that it is overrated Big smile LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic