Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 94>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by Xaxaar Xaxaar wrote:

Oh, you want to make a little group thing?  That would be pretty cool. Smile

So how would we start this thing off?  Public blog or something just to get down some ideas and whatnot?

And just so you know, this is the basic, basic things I had in mind for it:

-Going to be a total of a 20 minute experience
-Starts with a tutorial, ends with a boss fight
-Has enemy encounters and puzzles in between (maybe even sometimes combined Shocked) mostly utilizing the grappling hook I stated before.

Believe me, I thought more in depths about it, but these are, like I said, my basics.  I can go into more detail later.

i think this could become an interesting game mechanic for something like a 2D platformer
although, i think you wanted to make it 3D

also, instead of having a grappling hook gun i think it would be neat to have the hook be thrown (like in an arc) 
i made some drawings of what i mean .

would be interesting to combine platforming with puzzles and enemy encounters. 

Edited by SKwid - 04 Jul 2012 at 4:48pm

Xaxaar View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaxaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by SKwid SKwid wrote:

Oh, you want to make a little group thing?  That would be pretty cool. Smile

So how would we start this thing off?  Public blog or something just to get down some ideas and whatnot?

And just so you know, this is the basic, basic things I had in mind for it:

-Going to be a total of a 20 minute experience
-Starts with a tutorial, ends with a boss fight
-Has enemy encounters and puzzles in between (maybe even sometimes combined Shocked) mostly utilizing the grappling hook I stated before.

Believe me, I thought more in depths about it, but these are, like I said, my basics.  I can go into more detail later.

i think this could become an interesting game mechanic for something like a 2D platformer
although, i think you wanted to make it 3D

also, instead of having a grappling hook gun i think it would be neat to have the hook be thrown (like in an arc) 
i made some drawings of what i mean .

would be interesting to combine platforming with puzzles and enemy encounters. 

Well, my main inspiration for the 3D grappling hook was Zelda.  I think it's in Majora's Mask, but it may be in Ocarina of Time, where you use a grappling hook in a pirate base and it's kinda of stealthy.  There are targets you can attach on to and the grappling hook stuns the enemies when hit.  But I could scrap the 3D idea and just do a really nice 2D platformer.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 7:20pm
So, I'm trying out the first Ass Creed game.  Pretty cool so far.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 12:49am

Well, my main inspiration for the 3D grappling hook was Zelda.  I think it's in Majora's Mask, but it may be in Ocarina of Time, where you use a grappling hook in a pirate base and it's kinda of stealthy.  There are targets you can attach on to and the grappling hook stuns the enemies when hit.  But I could scrap the 3D idea and just do a really nice 2D platformer.

You're thinking of Wind Waker there I believe. 

Edited by adg211288 - 05 Jul 2012 at 12:50am
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 11:48am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

You're thinking of Wind Waker there I believe. 
 i think they all have the hookshot 

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 12:09pm
Hookshot yes, grappling hook is a different item in Wind Waker.

GG2U

Xaxaar View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaxaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 12:37pm
Nah, it was like this place:  http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Gerudo

But anyhow, anyone have any recommendations on where they would want to make the chatroom/public blog/whatever for this game?

Edited by Xaxaar - 05 Jul 2012 at 12:54pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 1:35pm
Maybe consider making a free forum. That way you can make topics for different things as needed and set it to public or private as desired. 

^ I use these guys for my site. They have their problems as much as any site but uptime is generally as good as they say it is. 
GG2U

Xaxaar View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaxaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 4:05pm
Alright, well making the forum, just did the very basics so far:

So if any of you want to make a game, just join up on this forum and we can get started. Big smile

Thanks for the forum recommendation, btw.
Xaxaar View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaxaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 11:54pm
Okay, edited the forum a bit more to give you some info on the game:

What you guys think?
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 1:50am
I have my own projects on the go at the moment, but I signed up and can offer feedback on your ideas. 
GG2U

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 9:15pm
Cool ideas, guys! I'm still trying to figure out the principles behind Game Maker (the tutorial is not all that helpful on platforming level design, so I'm taking a look at other sources), but I'll join once I start getting some cohesive ideas down!

I started playing this game yesterday, and I'm completely hooked:

Fallout 3 (2008)

Absolutely stunning IMO. I've played it for roughly ten hours, and I'm just blown away - this is my kinda game for sure! It feels a lot like The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion in a post-apocalyptic setting. I'm not complaining! Big smile

I'm currently stuck in Resident Evil for the PS1 (I'm getting very close to the end, though), and I beat Viking: Battle for Asgard on Xbox 360 the other day. It was a moderately fun hack-and-slash, but very mediocre and repetitive towards the end IMO.

Edited by J-Man - 14 Jul 2012 at 9:15pm
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Cool ideas, guys! I'm still trying to figure out the principles behind Game Maker (the tutorial is not all that helpful on platforming level design, so I'm taking a look at other sources), but I'll join once I start getting some cohesive ideas down!

I started playing this game yesterday, and I'm completely hooked:

Fallout 3 (2008)

Absolutely stunning IMO. I've played it for roughly ten hours, and I'm just blown away - this is my kinda game for sure! It feels a lot like The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion in a post-apocalyptic setting. I'm not complaining! Big smile

I'm currently stuck in Resident Evil for the PS1 (I'm getting very close to the end, though), and I beat Viking: Battle for Asgard on Xbox 360 the other day. It was a moderately fun hack-and-slash, but very mediocre and repetitive towards the end IMO.

I made the mistake of buying both Oblivion and Fallout 3 on the same day.  As it turns out, I required a second attempt in each to make it far.

Oblivion: First attempt: Argonian Assassin - Dark Brotherhood missions were fun, but I got killed like hell whenever I was in plain combat and didn't have enough potions.
Second attempt: Ork Warrior - did a lot better with heavy armor and a mace.  Still lost interest when I couldn't defeat the first Oblivion gate portal.

Was also put off by the five voice actors, staring contests, and conversation pie.  Traded in and bought Mass Effect 3 the same day.

Fallout 3 was slightly different since I favor guns and tech over swords and magic.  My second attempt was with a girl character with high Intelligence, so I ended up doing better.  I did put it off though to go back to Mass Effect 3, Battlefield 3, or more recently Black Ops again.

I will give Fallout 3 this though: those fucking bear creatures are scary shit!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 12:51am
Fallout 3 may just be my favourite RPG, even topping Elder Scrolls, if the fact that I've already played it through four times in under a year says anything.

I'm currently on my second run of New Vegas already. If you like F3 there's not much chance you won't like this.

Although I mist say I hated the Dead Money DLC for New Vegas. Thumbs Down
GG2U

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 11:03am
I plan on getting New Vegas shortly after I beat Fallout 3. Thumbs Up

Right now I'm just totally immersed in F3... this is one hell of a game! Bowdown

Has anyone here played the first 2 games in the series? I'm not much of a PC gamer, so I don't know enough about them to know whether or not I should check them out.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 5:39am
I haven't played them but I am thinking about picking them up sometime. Very different gameplay obviously considering their age and a different developer, but they still look pretty interesting. Not sure about other countries but in the UK you can get both plus the spin-off Fallout Tactics in a collection pack for about �6.

Do you only have the base game for F3? If so definitely get the DLC packs (or download them). Broken Steel is the must have as it's pretty much an epilogue to the original main quest and allows you to carry on playing after you beat the original game. I enjoyed all the F3 add-ons though.
GG2U

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 8:14am
I only have the base game for Fallout 3. I'll probably end up purchasing those on disc at some point (I hate downloading stuff Tongue), but I still feel like I've barely scratched the surface of what this game has to offer. It's just huge! Wacko
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 8:21am
If you want them all on disc you'll have to buy the game of the year edition, you can't get the final DLC, Mothership Zeta on disc otherwise.
GG2U

Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 2:33pm
I think I'm almost done with Assassin's Creed.  I need to head for Jerusalem to kill public asshole number one.

Why the fuck can't Altair swim?  I've had some annoying times in the docks at Acre killing the leader of the Knights Teutonic.
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

I think I'm almost done with Assassin's Creed.  I need to head for Jerusalem to kill public asshole number one.

Why the fuck can't Altair swim?  I've had some annoying times in the docks at Acre killing the leader of the Knights Teutonic.
that really annoyed me, luckily they fixed that for ac2 onwards 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 94>
  Share Topic