Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 94>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

^ That's what happened for me in the Duke Nukem 64 rom. I could see the enemies through walls,  so it kinda defeated the purpose of most of the game. LOL

And yeah, I use my Xbox 360 controller when I do roms as well. It also helps to be able to configure your own control scheme.

yeah, i cant remember if you can save controll scemes as files in p64
if so, i might write a little script that links those files with the rom files so i dont have to switch up my controls for different games.

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by SKwid SKwid wrote:

^ That's what happened for me in the Duke Nukem 64 rom. I could see the enemies through walls,  so it kinda defeated the purpose of most of the game. LOL

And yeah, I use my Xbox 360 controller when I do roms as well. It also helps to be able to configure your own control scheme.

yeah, i cant remember if you can save controll scemes as files in p64
if so, i might write a little script that links those files with the rom files so i dont have to switch up my controls for different games.

Yep, you can. I have 3 or 4 different control scheme files saved on my computer. Smile

I like how you can also choose to invert the joystick controls - waaay too many N64 FPS games had the look stick inverted by default with no way to change it. Unhappy
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 3:09pm
Duke Pukem you say?

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 3:15pm
LOL
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 5:20pm

Quake II just arrived for the N64. I played the first few levels earlier today and they were awesome. I can't wait to play the rest - I love retro FPS games like this. Smile

I beat this game today. Excellent stuff!! Clap

Also started playing this:

Edited by J-Man - 04 Mar 2012 at 5:22pm
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 8:33pm
Tonight:

Final run through for a while.

Because tomorrow:

Big smile
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 1:59am
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

Tonight:

Final run through for a while.

Because tomorrow:

Big smile
 i would be buy ing it tommorow, but school Cry

SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 9:30pm
ok so i bought it today, have been playing infiltrator a lot,  QUARIAN IS SUPER EFFECTIVE AGAINST GETH,
ive just been sabatoging the higher level ones (hunters, pyros, prime) and letting them kill each other. Smile

Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 7:54am

ok so i bought it today, have been playing infiltrator a lot,  QUARIAN IS SUPER EFFECTIVE AGAINST GETH,
ive just been sabatoging the higher level ones (hunters, pyros, prime) and letting them kill each other. Smile

I've started out with the engineer line again.  Having overload in one hand and incinerate in the other is very handy.  The geth enemies are probably the easiest to beat.  The Reaper enemies are probably the hardest.  Fucking brutes, ravagers, and banshees (their scream freaks me out).

Been playing single player too.  Cool to see what happened.  Even the small stuff like telling that asari to stay in that relationship with Charr (the krogan spouting poetry on Illium).  She opens a store on the Citadel called the Blue Rose.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 2:34pm
That poetry Krogan guy was hilarious.  I can't even remember what I did with him, though
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

I've started out with the engineer line again.  Having overload in one hand and incinerate in the other is very handy.  The geth enemies are probably the easiest to beat.  The Reaper enemies are probably the hardest.  Fucking brutes, ravagers, and banshees (their scream freaks me out).

Been playing single player too.  Cool to see what happened.  Even the small stuff like telling that asari to stay in that relationship with Charr (the krogan spouting poetry on Illium).  She opens a store on the Citadel called the Blue Rose.
yeah, i was playing earlier and my whole team managed to die early on in wave 9 against the reapers, 
somehow i managed to solo almost all of the wave, i was just about to kill the last guy of the wave when the host left, restarting the wave.

Cry

Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 7:05am
And I found Grunt.  He may be more badass than Wrex this time around.
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 1:32pm
iv almost beat the game, as i have said elsewhere, im on what appears to be the final mission (i got the final speeches thing, ala. speeches before the me2 suicide run)
i decided to postpone that (wich will probably be until monday with me doing this assignment), because i wanted to sleep

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 8:20pm
After beating DOOM for about the dozenth time today, I've reached a conclusion that it is absolutely the greatest game of all-time.

Thoughts?
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 8:26pm
It's certainly the most influential game of all time.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 8:44pm
I wish more FPS games still had those puzzle elements. That's a big reason why I think old school FPS games like Doom, Quake, Heretic, Duke Nukem, etc. are shitloads more fun than Call of Duty or Halo. I love the feeling of exploration more than I like the more straightforward modern shooters - not to say those games aren't great as well (they definitely are), but I don't get quite as much enjoyment and replay value as I do from earlier FPS titles.

EDIT :: and I also ordered Doom 64, Quake 64, and Forsaken 64 off of ebay the other day. I am SUPER excited to play all of these classics! Big smile

Edited by J-Man - 14 Mar 2012 at 8:45pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 9:52pm
Yeah, I was raised on that shit.  I can't do the "dumb" variety of modern shooter because of it.

I love how 90% of "advanced tactics" in shooters these days come from Quake.  Unfortunately, nowadays games are becoming more and more slow-paced so that experienced players won't have a huge advantage.  Personally, as a new player in a game I'd rather lose than be BORED OUT OF MY MIND.

When Valve ported Half-Life 2: Deathmatch to the orange box engine, mostly breaking strafe jumping, bunny hopping, gravity gun jumps etc basically the entire game community died.  It's sad, really, that kids these days are too pussy to just suck it up and practice something

Another awesome part of DOOM was the par times for levels.  I think that was the only single-player game in which I've ever been motivated to memorize levels

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 14 Mar 2012 at 9:53pm
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Yeah, I was raised on that shit.  I can't do the "dumb" variety of modern shooter because of it.

I love how 90% of "advanced tactics" in shooters these days come from Quake.  Unfortunately, nowadays games are becoming more and more slow-paced so that experienced players won't have a huge advantage.  Personally, as a new player in a game I'd rather lose than be BORED OUT OF MY MIND.

When Valve ported Half-Life 2: Deathmatch to the orange box engine, mostly breaking strafe jumping, bunny hopping, gravity gun jumps etc basically the entire game community died.  It's sad, really, that kids these days are too pussy to just suck it up and practice something

Another awesome part of DOOM was the par times for levels.  I think that was the only single-player game in which I've ever been motivated to memorize levels

I think that most modern shooters are 'all flash, no substance'. The graphics are great, the sound effects are amazing, the stories are compelling, but the level design is just downright boring. That's why I still wish that there were new FPS games that are basically run on the Doom engine, except with the best damn looking sprites you've ever seen.

And yeah, those par times are a lot of fun (and pretty damn difficult too). There are lots of shortcuts that are tough to find at first glance.
Sheavy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 7:55pm
I want Bethesda to make a game featuring the stuff from the SCP Foundation. I think it would be epic.

For anyone who doesn't know what that is.

On another note what's your favorite SCP?

Edited by Sheavy - 15 Mar 2012 at 8:10pm
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 9:42am
I've never played Ass Creed, but this new trailer makes me want to start.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 94>
  Share Topic