The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8384858687 94>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

I beat this today... I liked it a lot (especially the first episode), but it's definitely got quite a few flaws. The framerate is really inconsistent, and I found it being a crippling issue in intense firefights. The aiming mechanic is also pretty iffy, and sniping is nearly impossible even on the lowest sensitivity setting. The save system and loading times are also less than ideal, and a few "surprise" deaths that force you to re-watch cutscenes are a bit of a pain.

Supposedly these issues aren't on the PC version, but they are a bit problematic for the PS2. Still, it's definitely a pretty good game from beginning to end.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 12:36pm

I started playing Heretic (1994) for the PC using DOSbox emulator yesterday.

So far I am REALLY digging it! It's basically a Doom clone (it's even run on the same engine), but in a medieval setting. It's a hell of a lot of fun, especially for a Doom fanatic like me. Thumbs Up

I played that so much as a kid LOL
It doesn't count as a clone because iD made it Wink

I just beat the first of three portions of the game, only to find out that the version I downloaded doesn't include the other two. Angry I have to get those... the first episode was really good.

Yeah, they tend(ed) to do that with shareware games.  Register now! LOL

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 19 Feb 2012 at 12:36pm
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 11:31am
I just beat the first of three portions of the game, only to find out that the version I downloaded doesn't include the other two. Angry I have to get those... the first episode was really good.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 9:04am

So far I am REALLY digging it! It's basically a Doom clone (it's even run on the same engine), but in a medieval setting. It's a hell of a lot of fun, especially for a Doom fanatic like me. Thumbs Up

I remember playing so many games with the Doom engine (or similar) growing up.  I haven't tried this one yet, but may download it someday if I feel the urge to play video games again.

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 8:47am

Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 1:23pm
Mass Effect 3 demo! Big smile
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Smile thats such an odd game

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 7:35am

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 13 Feb 2012 at 7:36am
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 2:25am
I've been playing these games lately:

Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 9:52pm
Frag rounds in Battlefield 3 are fucking gay.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 8:13am
Originally posted by SKwid SKwid wrote:

Originally posted by Diogenes Diogenes wrote:

I've started playing these 2 games on the N64 emulator. Smile

Duke Nukem is a hell of a lot of fun, Rampage pretty much sucks so far. Tongue That's the sort of game that should stay in arcades IMO.

Emulators are THE SHIT.  Totally worth the effort of trying to get the USB 64 controller to work.

But damn, that system has so many classics and you choose Rampage?  Tonguer

I bought a wired 360 controller to replace the old ass wired one that i have, will try it out whne it comes in the mail 

also, i agree, why WOULD you play rampage?
Nostalgia?

Yep, pretty much entirely nostalgia. That series was one of my favorites when I was younger, and since I don't have the N64 cartridge anymore I figured it was worth a shot on the emulator. It's pretty awful, though... I really don't know how I liked those at some point! Confused
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by Diogenes Diogenes wrote:

Duke Nukem is a hell of a lot of fun, Rampage pretty much sucks so far. Tongue That's the sort of game that should stay in arcades IMO.

Emulators are THE SHIT.  Totally worth the effort of trying to get the USB 64 controller to work.

I bought a wired 360 controller to replace the old ass wired one that i have, will try it out whne it comes in the mail 

also, i agree, why WOULD you play rampage?
Nostalgia?

Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 10:03pm

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by Xaxaar Xaxaar wrote:

The biggest problem I had with that game is how loose and slide-y the controls felt.  And I felt like it had a lot more potential for what the concept was, just didn't run with it enough...but I did enjoy it and say it was a good game overall.

Yeah, I agree. I initially had a MAJOR issue with the controls, but by the second half of the game I was mostly used to them. Still, the aiming mechanic is pretty weak and some of the weapons just feel damn powerless against average enemies. It's nowhere near as tight as most FPS games nowadays.
Xaxaar View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaxaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 5:00pm
The biggest problem I had with that game is how loose and slide-y the controls felt.  And I felt like it had a lot more potential for what the concept was, just didn't run with it enough...but I did enjoy it and say it was a good game overall.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 4:27pm
I beat this game earlier today:

It was pretty fun overall. The checkpoint system is pretty poor and it was a bit too linear IMO, but it's still a hell of a lot of fun. Thumbs Up
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 8:11am

Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

i downloaded an n64 emulator so i have been playing,

Never played the 64 version, but I enjoy the ones they had on Sega Genesis, and Road Rash: Jailbreak on Playstation.
ive never played that 

The soundtrack had a bunch of southern rock and alternative stuff that I wouldn't normally listen to, but in the context of this game I'd be singing right along.  That is, until I crash into one of those phantom cars.  http://www.game-ost.com/albums/1435/road_rash_jailbreak_-_the_music/

When I have the time, I'll look to add some of the appropriate bands to this site.  Most bands were unsigned at the time, and I definitely remember Chevelle being on there before they had their breakthrough album.  The above link doesn't include all the bands/songs that were in the game.  I think there was one other noteworthy band on it that escapes me.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 7:55am
Mass Effect 3 multiplayer demo in 10 days! Big smile

Going through Mass Effect 2 once more on Veteran difficulty with male Sentinel Shepard.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 7:39am

SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 1:27am
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

i downloaded an n64 emulator so i have been playing,

Never played the 64 version, but I enjoy the ones they had on Sega Genesis, and Road Rash: Jailbreak on Playstation.
ive never played that 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8384858687 94>
  Share Topic