Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vinyl
    Posted: 29 May 2010 at 4:10pm
Any other lovers of this certain format? Not that I would be a total vinyl elitist (in fact I have less than 30 vinyls right now) but there is a certain magic when you put a vinyl record on and hear the warm touch of analog. It also makes me focus on the music better because you've got to be there to flip the side. So it's not a 70-minute cd where you can be distracted more easily.

Was somewhat surprised when some of my relatives were surprised when they saw me first time receiving some LPs and cassettes ("They still do those!?") some years ago. Luckily vinyls (and cassettes) are still a general thing in those certain musical styles I listen to. Bad thing is that it's freaking expensive to mail 12"s in Finland. I can actually order a 12" cheaper from Germany than from a domestic distro, but I do support domestic ones now and more rarely order them from foreign countries.

Edited by Vehemency - 29 May 2010 at 4:11pm
Murphy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2010 at 8:56pm
Love them to bits and have collected a fair few over the years - could not be both counting.

That said, I'd only have about ten Metal albums. A lot of the metal I find myself listening to has pretty low fidelity so I usually think twice about lashing out for the exhortation prices they charge for new vinyl these days. Moss' Cthonic Rites is absolutely crushing in this format.  

I've a Pro-ject 9.2 paired with a Ortofon OM30 cartridge and stylus. No complaints about either from my end.

Guai ai gelidi mostri �Everything that is doddering, squint-eyed, infamous, sullying, and grotesque is contained for me in this single word: God� Andr� Breton
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2010 at 3:45am
Originally posted by Murphy Murphy wrote:

A lot of the metal I find myself listening to has pretty low fidelity so I usually think twice about lashing out for the exhortation prices they charge for new vinyl these days.
Yeah I'm pretty careful of what I buy in this format too. Often when listening to a CD or an MP3 I find myself thinking "would this sound great on wax?" before investing in vinyl version.

Originally posted by Murphy Murphy wrote:

I've a Pro-ject 9.2 paired with a Ortofon OM30 cartridge and stylus. No complaints about either from my end.
Currently I'm using an old (?) and automatic Philips F7215 of which needle I haven't even changed yet - but now I should because the sound is getting a lot worse. Also have a manual JVC player that I'm most likely going to use for now until I get a new needle for this automatic one. And I don't really mind is it an automatic one - I've just kept changing between the Philips and the JVC every now and then and tried to compare if I hear any differences in sound (haven't). So I'm going to use both of them, heh...
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2010 at 1:11pm
I've collected a bunch of vinyls over the years with the idea in mind that some day I'll get a player too to spin those with. No player yet, I still haven't heard for example Faith No More's first album which I've owned for an eternity. Perhaps this year...
<- Click on this!
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 7:28am
I'm a keen collector, especially of Prog Rock and NWoBHM.

If you check out some of the more obscure NWoBHM entries, I've been putting "Last sold on eBay" tags on for those who are interested (e.g. Satan's "Kiss of Death/Heads Will Roll" single).

Recently there has been a surge of re-issues, especially of "lost classics" which tend to sell for silly money - but these have been flying off the shelves (e.g. the re-release of Legend's "From The Fjords"), and are consequently just as hard to get hold of as the originals!

I'm not only interested in vinyl for its value or collectability though - even though digital recordings are superior on paper, in practice, vinyl just sounds better, and I hardly ever listen to a CD through choice.

...I suppose I have to qualify what I said above by saying "sounds better to me..." Tongue

Edited by Certif1ed - 01 Jun 2010 at 7:34am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 8:40am
^I agree with the sounds better to me factor. I love the warm sound of vinyls too. I have about 500 vinyls ( my dad in law knows this well, as he has been bitching about how much they weigh the 3 times my wife and I have moved in the last 10 yearsBig smile). I�ve stopped buying new music on vinyl a long time ago though ( most of the music I listen to are recorded digitally anyway, and I don�t think you gain much then), so most of the vinyls I purchase are purchased second hand. Mostly prog rock and old metal releases. There�s something very special about sitting with a vinyl sleeve instead of a CD ditto ( I won�t even mention digital MP3 releases). I can�t count the hours I�ve spend looking at my Iron Maiden vinyl covers just as an example.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 5:11pm
I don't have very many vinyls... my dad sold all of his classic prog vinyls before I was born, and I will be mad at him forever for that! LOL I do love vinyl, and I purchase cheap, secondhand copies whenever I can. In most cases they don't sound better than the CD version (quite the opposite, actually), but I just love placing the needle on the record as well as the large album art. I can't explain why I feel like this, but I really do feel like I got my money's worth when I walk home with a big-ass stack of vinyl records. I just don't feel that way with MP3's (or even CD's).

I mostly buy CD's, but I'm building up a small vinyl collection as well.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 1:30am

I'd recommend tracking down a first press of Led Zep II - I particularly like the "Plum and Orange" UK presses (so-called because of the colours on the label), but apparently there are some stellar Canadian and German ones.

It's all down to the mastering - there's something about period masters that captures the essence of the music better than more recent ones.

The one drawback is that to get a half-decent one will easily set you back �20 (any cheaper and they tend to be almost unlistenable through over play).

If your amp and speakers are good, that slab of vinyl will give your system a workout far better than any CD, and it sounds like the band are in the room with you - the one caveat being that you need to turn it UP to neighbour complaint drowning levels.

Rawks
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 1:40am
^LOL. Luckily the old lady who lives upstairs is deaf.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Vehemency Vehemency wrote:

Any other lovers of this certain format? Not that I would be a total vinyl elitist (in fact I have less than 30 vinyls right now) but there is a certain magic when you put a vinyl record on and hear the warm touch of analog. It also makes me focus on the music better because you've got to be there to flip the side. So it's not a 70-minute cd where you can be distracted more easily.

Well I wouldn't call myself a fan of vinyls.... It was my "choice" in the 70's and early 80's, between that and Cassettes or 8-tracks.... not much a choice, you see....

It took me a while to climb on the Cd bandwagon (only in 92 around the grunge phenomena)  and although wary of Cds at first,  it had incredible advantages over vinyls: user-friendliness >> less storage issue, easier handling, better and longer autonomy (no getting up for flipsides), didn't have to be so careful and immediate putting away in storage issues, etc....
Whatever few vinyls advantages were left were mostly the sleeve artworks and the "rolling a doobie"  surface issues were definitely not enough to keep buying vinyls .... to the point that I re-bought a lot of the albums in that format.

I still buy the odd used vinyl, mainly stuff that's never been reissued in CD.

I kind of agree that it is harder to concentrate on a cd, but that's mostly because CDs are generally longer and sometimes filled to the brim..... The 40 to 45 minutes duration of an vinyl album is ideal
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 8:48am
Yeah I totally agree. It�s very few artists that are able to fill more than 40 - 45 minutes with quality music.
Phonebook Eater View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phonebook Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 4:06pm
I don't have any vinyls and I don't have an LP player. What a shame!CryUnhappy
Anyway, I buy a lot of CD's, and I have a pretty good collection for a sixteen year old Cool

Edited by Phonebook Eater - 17 Jun 2010 at 4:07pm

My Album Reviews: http://audiopline.wordpress.com/
Movie Reviewing blog: http://moviepline.wordpress.com/
progshine View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 2:04am
Oh man, I still have more then 250 LPs on my 'collection' but with a BIG trouble, my 'pick up' (an old SHARP - HERE) have some problems with the sound, and it's hard to find someone to fix.

I'll try soon, or maybe buy one of the new ones, or at least one of these (http://www.catodi.com.br/toca-discos/toca-discos-hitachi-ht-1000.htmlTongue

And you're right, even if I don't live in the golden years of Vinyl (I'm 25) I think there's a magic when you put that big cookie to roll on the turntable!

Edited by progshine - 20 Jun 2010 at 2:05am
Testing 1...2...3..
RAY, IT'S NOT WORKING!

www.progshine.net

Your resource of Prog Rock with weekly Podcasts, reviews, interviews and many more.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

I'd recommend tracking down a first press of Led Zep II - I particularly like the "Plum and Orange" UK presses (so-called because of the colours on the label), but apparently there are some stellar Canadian and German ones.

Rawks

I've got a first pressing of Led Zep II with the plum label and it has so much power in those grooves. You're right some of those early pressings were fantastic.

The problem by the mid seventies was caused by the oil crisis leaving a shortage of vinyl hence pressings started to get thinner and worse quality of course. I still don't think you can beat a good pressing on a good deck though.
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 2:04pm
I love vinyl. Usually I just play through my mum's but I do have some Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden of my own on vinyl plus Dark Star's debut album and 'Beat' by King Crimson. It is an experience in its own right.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 4:06pm
I'm constantly copying my vinyl collection to my computer to make MP3s.  Audiophile sacrilege. Evil Smile
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 6:47pm
I was a huge vinyl collector for about 20 years and stopped collecting about 10 years ago. It was a passion along with flyfishing, and like flyfishing equipment and flytying materials I spent a small fortune on it. I had no idea what "contentment" was when I was younger.

I really got into it when I was 17 years old which was 1982 because of most of the music being produced at that time wasn't to my liking so I went back into time to "search" for artists in prog, hard rock and metal as I was a huge fan of Sabbath and Yes at that time finding heavy psych/hard rock/proto-metal, other prog bands, blues-rock, psychedelia, folk-rock from the period of 1965-1975.

A lot of these albums were a combination of OOP, limited releases, regional label distribution,  thus resulting in obscurity which it turn were very expensive. Most of the vinyl I purchased was from a shop here in town as the two owners were both into the same music I was and brought in a lot of material for me and held it for me as I was the first to get the choice of purchasing them or not and in some cases got the guys to put them in my "stash" to purchase at a latter day.

On many occassions the guys and I would load my p/u(had a canopy) with vinyl very early in the morning and catch the ferry to Vancouver over to record swap meets. The guys would pay for the gas and buy my breakfast and dinner on the ferry but the real benefit was the I got to flip through the tables before the doors opened to the public. PARADICE.

I also had a subscription to Goldmine magazine which was a market place for collectors with sellers all over the world and articles in regards to vinyl. I bought mostly from three places. a guy in Portland, Oregon and a seller in London and Midnite Records in NYC. Also there was another used vinyl shop here in town that was bigger than the shop I frequented and had alot more "mainstream" albums and when CDs came in I bought albums buy the armload as people brought in thier records to sell and they had changed to CD and used vinyl was dirt cheap. We had a huge stereo/electronics/records store also that had a huge inventory of new vinyl and brought in imports all over the world. They did it well but years latter the store changed owners and went bankrupt. It was a big fixture here in the city for 25 years.

I was resistant to the CD for the first few years and I remember very well saying to a buddy of mine that, "vinyl sounds better to me than the CD. It sounds so trebly, tin like with no `depth`." He gave me a hard time about it until he read an article about Neil Young in Rolling Stone and Neil stated that vinyl sounded better, so my buddy changed his tune because he was a big Young fan. What a joke.

With the introduction of the CD the big labels did reissue some albums that were deleted on vinyl, but not many as it was the small independent labels like Rhino(US) and Repertoire(Germany) and others that reissued many of the obscure albums from the late 60's/early 70's and as imports and the value of the Canadian $ at that time I was paying $25-30 a CD. Many albums that I couldn`t find on vinyl was reissued on CD.

Twelve years ago I purchased a Yamaha CD recorded to transfer my vinyl to CD-R. A lot of work and very time consuming. I did get about 600 done.

I bought my first computer about seven years(again stubborn to insane acceleration of technology) and was amazed all those very rare pieces of vinyl available in digital formats, stuff I thought I would never hear 20 years ago was just a DL away.

I have over 3,000 pieces of vinyl and ya it has been somewhat of a headache when I have moved and kept in storage for years at roughly at $100 a month not to mention the woman in my life complaining about it when I accumulated a stack. Now it`s in my parents garage.

The most I spent for a piece of vinyl was $60 for a SS copy of Bubble Puppy`s, A Gathering Of Promises on the infamous International Artists label from Texas. Found a couple of `deals` also. Paying $40 for a VG copy of Moon Blood by Fraction at a swap meet from a lady from Seattle. I said to myself when I saw the price, `she`s mad a mistake.` I felt very guilty handing her the $40. Still somewhat bothers today. Supposedly this album has sold for $1500. The second was the self-titled debut from The Plastic Cloud, a Canadian garage psych artist for $7 as it was worth about $150 at that time. It wasn`t listed in the Osbourne Record Price Guide. On average I was paying $15-30 for an album.

I still use my Woody(Dual 506 turntable with a wood grain finish) which I bought when I was 14 years old. I`ve thought about my selling my collection a couple of times but just don`t have the heart to. Possibly one day.

Edited by cannon - 22 Jun 2011 at 6:52pm
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 6:52pm
Speaking of Vinyl, last week we demolished a 60s Silvertone record player.  I felt like a criminal.  At least I saved the 12AX7s.
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 4:59am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Speaking of Vinyl, last week we demolished a 60s Silvertone record player.  I felt like a criminal.  At least I saved the 12AX7s.

Criminal? Sacrilegious, hell ya. If I saw you doing that I would give you and your buddies "a can whoop ass."Wink
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 7:02am
Originally posted by cannon cannon wrote:

I was a huge vinyl collector for about 20 years and stopped collecting about 10 years ago.
Wow - and I thought I was fairly obsessive about vinyl; I collected moderately in my teens-twenties, stopped, then underwent a massive renaissance about 10 years ago that lasted about 7 years - I've stopped again, because prices have gone ballistic on the really collectible stuff in the last 3 years or so. For example, 3 years ago, I could go into my local vinyl store and expect a First Edition Led Zep I (Turquoise lettering), when it turned up, every couple of months or so, to be tagged around �100-200, dependent on condition. I ummed and ahhed over the price - but now they go for �1,000+ on eBay, so that's what the shop tries to sell them for.

I was resistant to the CD for the first few years and I remember very well saying to a buddy of mine that, "vinyl sounds better to me than the CD. It sounds so trebly, tin like with no `depth`."

Word..

Twelve years ago I purchased a Yamaha CD recorded to transfer my vinyl to CD-R. A lot of work and very time consuming. I did get about 600 done.

My wife bought me a Project Debut III USB turntable for a birthday (I forget which!), and although it doesn't reduce the time it takes to record an album, it makes the whole experience a very enjoyable one, as I can hear the album through my HiFi at the same time as recording it! The boring bit comes when you have to split the recordings into individual tracks - as many albums require.

I have over 3,000 pieces of vinyl and ya it has been somewhat of a headache when I have moved and kept in storage for years at roughly at $100 a month not to mention the woman in my life complaining about it when I accumulated a stack. Now it`s in my parents garage.

I have around 2,500 - and they're all in racks in my sitting room. My wife hates them - until it comes to listening time of her favourites - then she grudgingly agrees that the sound is superior to CD.

The most I spent for a piece of vinyl was $60 for a SS copy of Bubble Puppy`s, A Gathering Of Promises on the infamous International Artists label from Texas. Found a couple of `deals` also. Paying $40 for a VG copy of Moon Blood by Fraction at a swap meet from a lady from Seattle. I said to myself when I saw the price, `she`s mad a mistake.` I felt very guilty handing her the $40. Still somewhat bothers today. Supposedly this album has sold for $1500. The second was the self-titled debut from The Plastic Cloud, a Canadian garage psych artist for $7 as it was worth about $150 at that time. It wasn`t listed in the Osbourne Record Price Guide. On average I was paying $15-30 for an album.

I try not to pay more than �10 if I can help it, but I have a few similar tales of triumph - like the time I went into Oxfam in Henley and found a "Loud Cut" First Edition of Rubber Soul in Near Mint condition on sale for �30, and then Oxfam in Reading, where I found a "Livin' Lovin' Wreck" edition of Led Zep II priced at �7, in similar condition. Both go on eBay around the �250 mark - or did last time I looked.

I buy stuff from Oxfam quite regularly, and make regular charitable donations, so I can soothe my conscience that way...

I still use my Woody(Dual 506 turntable with a wood grain finish) which I bought when I was 14 years old. I`ve thought about my selling my collection a couple of times but just don`t have the heart to. Possibly one day.

It's like the Fabulous Furry Freak brothers used to say: "Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope". That's a metaphor, for "Don't sell!!!" in case there was any confusion... Wink

Edited by Certif1ed - 23 Jun 2011 at 7:04am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic