Print Page | Close Window

Vinyl

Printed From: MetalMusicArchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Tech Talk
Forum Description: Discuss musical instruments, equipment, hi-fi, speakers, vinyl, gadgets,etc.
URL: http://www.MetalMusicArchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=654
Printed Date: 20 Apr 2024 at 8:58am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Vinyl
Posted By: Vehemency
Subject: Vinyl
Date Posted: 29 May 2010 at 4:10pm
Any other lovers of this certain format? Not that I would be a total vinyl elitist (in fact I have less than 30 vinyls right now) but there is a certain magic when you put a vinyl record on and hear the warm touch of analog. It also makes me focus on the music better because you've got to be there to flip the side. So it's not a 70-minute cd where you can be distracted more easily.

Was somewhat surprised when some of my relatives were surprised when they saw me first time receiving some LPs and cassettes ("They still do those!?") some years ago. Luckily vinyls (and cassettes) are still a general thing in those certain musical styles I listen to. Bad thing is that it's freaking expensive to mail 12"s in Finland. I can actually order a 12" cheaper from Germany than from a domestic distro, but I do support domestic ones now and more rarely order them from foreign countries.

Replies:
Posted By: Murphy
Date Posted: 29 May 2010 at 8:56pm
Love them to bits and have collected a fair few over the years - could not be both counting.

That said, I'd only have about ten Metal albums. A lot of the metal I find myself listening to has pretty low fidelity so I usually think twice about lashing out for the exhortation prices they charge for new vinyl these days. Moss' Cthonic Rites is absolutely crushing in this format.  

I've a Pro-ject 9.2 paired with a Ortofon OM30 cartridge and stylus. No complaints about either from my end.

-------------
Guai ai gelidi mostri �Everything that is doddering, squint-eyed, infamous, sullying, and grotesque is contained for me in this single word: God� Andr� Breton

Posted By: Vehemency
Date Posted: 30 May 2010 at 3:45am
Originally posted by Murphy Murphy wrote:

A lot of the metal I find myself listening to has pretty low fidelity so I usually think twice about lashing out for the exhortation prices they charge for new vinyl these days.
Yeah I'm pretty careful of what I buy in this format too. Often when listening to a CD or an MP3 I find myself thinking "would this sound great on wax?" before investing in vinyl version.

Originally posted by Murphy Murphy wrote:

I've a Pro-ject 9.2 paired with a Ortofon OM30 cartridge and stylus. No complaints about either from my end.
Currently I'm using an old (?) and automatic Philips F7215 of which needle I haven't even changed yet - but now I should because the sound is getting a lot worse. Also have a manual JVC player that I'm most likely going to use for now until I get a new needle for this automatic one. And I don't really mind is it an automatic one - I've just kept changing between the Philips and the JVC every now and then and tried to compare if I hear any differences in sound (haven't). So I'm going to use both of them, heh...

Posted By: Pekka
Date Posted: 30 May 2010 at 1:11pm
I've collected a bunch of vinyls over the years with the idea in mind that some day I'll get a player too to spin those with. No player yet, I still haven't heard for example Faith No More's first album which I've owned for an eternity. Perhaps this year...

-------------
http://iamthreepeople.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow"> <- Click on this!

Posted By: Certif1ed
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 7:28am
I'm a keen collector, especially of Prog Rock and NWoBHM.

If you check out some of the more obscure NWoBHM entries, I've been putting "Last sold on eBay" tags on for those who are interested (e.g. http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/satan--kiss-of-death%28single%29.aspx - Satan's "Kiss of Death/Heads Will Roll" single).

Recently there has been a surge of re-issues, especially of "lost classics" which tend to sell for silly money - but these have been flying off the shelves (e.g. the re-release of http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/legend%28united-states%29--from-the-fjords.aspx - Legend's "From The Fjords "), and are consequently just as hard to get hold of as the originals!

I'm not only interested in vinyl for its value or collectability though - even though digital recordings are superior on paper, in practice, vinyl just sounds better, and I hardly ever listen to a CD through choice.

...I suppose I have to qualify what I said above by saying "sounds better to me..." Tongue

Posted By: UMUR
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 8:40am
^I agree with the sounds better to me factor. I love the warm sound of vinyls too. I have about 500 vinyls ( my dad in law knows this well, as he has been bitching about how much they weigh the 3 times my wife and I have moved in the last 10 yearsBig smile). I�ve stopped buying new music on vinyl a long time ago though ( most of the music I listen to are recorded digitally anyway, and I don�t think you gain much then), so most of the vinyls I purchase are purchased second hand. Mostly prog rock and old metal releases. There�s something very special about sitting with a vinyl sleeve instead of a CD ditto ( I won�t even mention digital MP3 releases). I can�t count the hours I�ve spend looking at my Iron Maiden vinyl covers just as an example.

-------------
http://www.lyngby-boldklub.dk/" rel="nofollow - Forever TRUE - Forever BLUE!
https://rateyourmusic.com/~UMUR" rel="nofollow - UMUR on RYM

Posted By: J-Man
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 5:11pm
I don't have very many vinyls... my dad sold all of his classic prog vinyls before I was born, and I will be mad at him forever for that! LOL I do love vinyl, and I purchase cheap, secondhand copies whenever I can. In most cases they don't sound better than the CD version (quite the opposite, actually), but I just love placing the needle on the record as well as the large album art. I can't explain why I feel like this, but I really do feel like I got my money's worth when I walk home with a big-ass stack of vinyl records. I just don't feel that way with MP3's (or even CD's).

I mostly buy CD's, but I'm building up a small vinyl collection as well.

-------------
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 1:30am

I'd recommend tracking down a first press of Led Zep II - I particularly like the "Plum and Orange" UK presses (so-called because of the colours on the label), but apparently there are some stellar Canadian and German ones.

It's all down to the mastering - there's something about period masters that captures the essence of the music better than more recent ones.

The one drawback is that to get a half-decent one will easily set you back �20 (any cheaper and they tend to be almost unlistenable through over play).

If your amp and speakers are good, that slab of vinyl will give your system a workout far better than any CD, and it sounds like the band are in the room with you - the one caveat being that you need to turn it UP to neighbour complaint drowning levels.

Rawks

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 1:40am
^LOL. Luckily the old lady who lives upstairs is deaf.

-------------

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Vehemency Vehemency wrote:

Any other lovers of this certain format? Not that I would be a total vinyl elitist (in fact I have less than 30 vinyls right now) but there is a certain magic when you put a vinyl record on and hear the warm touch of analog. It also makes me focus on the music better because you've got to be there to flip the side. So it's not a 70-minute cd where you can be distracted more easily.

Well I wouldn't call myself a fan of vinyls.... It was my "choice" in the 70's and early 80's, between that and Cassettes or 8-tracks.... not much a choice, you see....

It took me a while to climb on the Cd bandwagon (only in 92 around the grunge phenomena)  and although wary of Cds at first,  it had incredible advantages over vinyls: user-friendliness >> less storage issue, easier handling, better and longer autonomy (no getting up for flipsides), didn't have to be so careful and immediate putting away in storage issues, etc....
Whatever few vinyls advantages were left were mostly the sleeve artworks and the "rolling a doobie"  surface issues were definitely not enough to keep buying vinyls .... to the point that I re-bought a lot of the albums in that format.

I still buy the odd used vinyl, mainly stuff that's never been reissued in CD.

I kind of agree that it is harder to concentrate on a cd, but that's mostly because CDs are generally longer and sometimes filled to the brim..... The 40 to 45 minutes duration of an vinyl album is ideal

-------------
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 8:48am
Yeah I totally agree. It�s very few artists that are able to fill more than 40 - 45 minutes with quality music.

-------------

Posted By: Phonebook Eater
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 4:06pm
I don't have any vinyls and I don't have an LP player. What a shame!CryUnhappy
Anyway, I buy a lot of CD's, and I have a pretty good collection for a sixteen year old Cool

-------------

My Album Reviews: http://audiopline.wordpress.com/
Movie Reviewing blog: http://moviepline.wordpress.com/

Posted By: progshine
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 2:04am
Oh man, I still have more then 250 LPs on my 'collection' but with a BIG trouble, my 'pick up' (an old SHARP - http://img.ibiubi.com.br/%252Fprodutos%252F6%252F0%252F5%252F1%252F1%252F9%252F1%252Fimg%252F01_3-em-1-antigo-sharp-radio-am-fm-%252B-toca-disco-%252B-toca-fitas.jpg - HERE ) have some problems with the sound, and it's hard to find someone to fix.

I'll try soon, or maybe buy one of the new ones, or at least one of these ( http://www.catodi.com.br/toca-discos/toca-discos-hitachi-ht-1000.html - Tongue

And you're right, even if I don't live in the golden years of Vinyl (I'm 25) I think there's a magic when you put that big cookie to roll on the turntable!

-------------
Testing 1...2...3..
RAY, IT'S NOT WORKING!

www.progshine.net

Your resource of Prog Rock with weekly Podcasts, reviews, interviews and many more.

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

I'd recommend tracking down a first press of Led Zep II - I particularly like the "Plum and Orange" UK presses (so-called because of the colours on the label), but apparently there are some stellar Canadian and German ones.

Rawks

I've got a first pressing of Led Zep II with the plum label and it has so much power in those grooves. You're right some of those early pressings were fantastic.

The problem by the mid seventies was caused by the oil crisis leaving a shortage of vinyl hence pressings started to get thinner and worse quality of course. I still don't think you can beat a good pressing on a good deck though.

Posted By: FusionKing
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 2:04pm
I love vinyl. Usually I just play through my mum's but I do have some Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden of my own on vinyl plus Dark Star's debut album and 'Beat' by King Crimson. It is an experience in its own right.

Posted By: Stooge
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 4:06pm
I'm constantly copying my vinyl collection to my computer to make MP3s.  Audiophile sacrilege. Evil Smile

-------------
https://armchairmaestro.com/" rel="nofollow - My Music Blog

Posted By: cannon
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 6:47pm
I was a huge vinyl collector for about 20 years and stopped collecting about 10 years ago. It was a passion along with flyfishing, and like flyfishing equipment and flytying materials I spent a small fortune on it. I had no idea what "contentment" was when I was younger.

I really got into it when I was 17 years old which was 1982 because of most of the music being produced at that time wasn't to my liking so I went back into time to "search" for artists in prog, hard rock and metal as I was a huge fan of Sabbath and Yes at that time finding heavy psych/hard rock/proto-metal, other prog bands, blues-rock, psychedelia, folk-rock from the period of 1965-1975.

A lot of these albums were a combination of OOP, limited releases, regional label distribution,  thus resulting in obscurity which it turn were very expensive. Most of the vinyl I purchased was from a shop here in town as the two owners were both into the same music I was and brought in a lot of material for me and held it for me as I was the first to get the choice of purchasing them or not and in some cases got the guys to put them in my "stash" to purchase at a latter day.

On many occassions the guys and I would load my p/u(had a canopy) with vinyl very early in the morning and catch the ferry to Vancouver over to record swap meets. The guys would pay for the gas and buy my breakfast and dinner on the ferry but the real benefit was the I got to flip through the tables before the doors opened to the public. PARADICE.

I also had a subscription to Goldmine magazine which was a market place for collectors with sellers all over the world and articles in regards to vinyl. I bought mostly from three places. a guy in Portland, Oregon and a seller in London and Midnite Records in NYC. Also there was another used vinyl shop here in town that was bigger than the shop I frequented and had alot more "mainstream" albums and when CDs came in I bought albums buy the armload as people brought in thier records to sell and they had changed to CD and used vinyl was dirt cheap. We had a huge stereo/electronics/records store also that had a huge inventory of new vinyl and brought in imports all over the world. They did it well but years latter the store changed owners and went bankrupt. It was a big fixture here in the city for 25 years.

I was resistant to the CD for the first few years and I remember very well saying to a buddy of mine that, "vinyl sounds better to me than the CD. It sounds so trebly, tin like with no `depth`." He gave me a hard time about it until he read an article about Neil Young in Rolling Stone and Neil stated that vinyl sounded better, so my buddy changed his tune because he was a big Young fan. What a joke.

With the introduction of the CD the big labels did reissue some albums that were deleted on vinyl, but not many as it was the small independent labels like Rhino(US) and Repertoire(Germany) and others that reissued many of the obscure albums from the late 60's/early 70's and as imports and the value of the Canadian $ at that time I was paying $25-30 a CD. Many albums that I couldn`t find on vinyl was reissued on CD.

Twelve years ago I purchased a Yamaha CD recorded to transfer my vinyl to CD-R. A lot of work and very time consuming. I did get about 600 done.

I bought my first computer about seven years(again stubborn to insane acceleration of technology) and was amazed all those very rare pieces of vinyl available in digital formats, stuff I thought I would never hear 20 years ago was just a DL away.

I have over 3,000 pieces of vinyl and ya it has been somewhat of a headache when I have moved and kept in storage for years at roughly at $100 a month not to mention the woman in my life complaining about it when I accumulated a stack. Now it`s in my parents garage.

The most I spent for a piece of vinyl was $60 for a SS copy of Bubble Puppy`s, A Gathering Of Promises on the infamous International Artists label from Texas. Found a couple of `deals` also. Paying $40 for a VG copy of Moon Blood by Fraction at a swap meet from a lady from Seattle. I said to myself when I saw the price, `she`s mad a mistake.` I felt very guilty handing her the $40. Still somewhat bothers today. Supposedly this album has sold for $1500. The second was the self-titled debut from The Plastic Cloud, a Canadian garage psych artist for $7 as it was worth about $150 at that time. It wasn`t listed in the Osbourne Record Price Guide. On average I was paying $15-30 for an album.

I still use my Woody(Dual 506 turntable with a wood grain finish) which I bought when I was 14 years old. I`ve thought about my selling my collection a couple of times but just don`t have the heart to. Possibly one day.

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 6:52pm
Speaking of Vinyl, last week we demolished a 60s Silvertone record player.  I felt like a criminal.  At least I saved the 12AX7s.

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 4:59am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Speaking of Vinyl, last week we demolished a 60s Silvertone record player.  I felt like a criminal.  At least I saved the 12AX7s.

Criminal? Sacrilegious, hell ya. If I saw you doing that I would give you and your buddies "a can whoop ass."Wink

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 7:02am
Originally posted by cannon cannon wrote:

I was a huge vinyl collector for about 20 years and stopped collecting about 10 years ago.
Wow - and I thought I was fairly obsessive about vinyl; I collected moderately in my teens-twenties, stopped, then underwent a massive renaissance about 10 years ago that lasted about 7 years - I've stopped again, because prices have gone ballistic on the really collectible stuff in the last 3 years or so. For example, 3 years ago, I could go into my local vinyl store and expect a First Edition Led Zep I (Turquoise lettering), when it turned up, every couple of months or so, to be tagged around �100-200, dependent on condition. I ummed and ahhed over the price - but now they go for �1,000+ on eBay, so that's what the shop tries to sell them for.

I was resistant to the CD for the first few years and I remember very well saying to a buddy of mine that, "vinyl sounds better to me than the CD. It sounds so trebly, tin like with no `depth`."

Word..

Twelve years ago I purchased a Yamaha CD recorded to transfer my vinyl to CD-R. A lot of work and very time consuming. I did get about 600 done.

My wife bought me a Project Debut III USB turntable for a birthday (I forget which!), and although it doesn't reduce the time it takes to record an album, it makes the whole experience a very enjoyable one, as I can hear the album through my HiFi at the same time as recording it! The boring bit comes when you have to split the recordings into individual tracks - as many albums require.

http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=debutphusb&cat=turntables&lang=en" rel="nofollow - http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=debutphusb&cat=turntables&lang=en

I have over 3,000 pieces of vinyl and ya it has been somewhat of a headache when I have moved and kept in storage for years at roughly at $100 a month not to mention the woman in my life complaining about it when I accumulated a stack. Now it`s in my parents garage.

I have around 2,500 - and they're all in racks in my sitting room. My wife hates them - until it comes to listening time of her favourites - then she grudgingly agrees that the sound is superior to CD.

The most I spent for a piece of vinyl was $60 for a SS copy of Bubble Puppy`s, A Gathering Of Promises on the infamous International Artists label from Texas. Found a couple of `deals` also. Paying $40 for a VG copy of Moon Blood by Fraction at a swap meet from a lady from Seattle. I said to myself when I saw the price, `she`s mad a mistake.` I felt very guilty handing her the $40. Still somewhat bothers today. Supposedly this album has sold for $1500. The second was the self-titled debut from The Plastic Cloud, a Canadian garage psych artist for $7 as it was worth about $150 at that time. It wasn`t listed in the Osbourne Record Price Guide. On average I was paying $15-30 for an album.

I try not to pay more than �10 if I can help it, but I have a few similar tales of triumph - like the time I went into Oxfam in Henley and found a "Loud Cut" First Edition of Rubber Soul in Near Mint condition on sale for �30, and then Oxfam in Reading, where I found a "Livin' Lovin' Wreck" edition of Led Zep II priced at �7, in similar condition. Both go on eBay around the �250 mark - or did last time I looked.

I buy stuff from Oxfam quite regularly, and make regular charitable donations, so I can soothe my conscience that way...

I still use my Woody(Dual 506 turntable with a wood grain finish) which I bought when I was 14 years old. I`ve thought about my selling my collection a couple of times but just don`t have the heart to. Possibly one day.

It's like the Fabulous Furry Freak brothers used to say: "Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope". That's a metaphor, for "Don't sell!!!" in case there was any confusion... Wink

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 7:50am
^^^LOL That's a great quote. So true.

A seller came up from Seattle a couple years ago and took a look at my collection and gave me a price. I said, 'What?!" He offered me about 20% of what I thought my collection was worth and I did extensive research on prices as I've been out of the loop of the value of vinyl in the last ten years. Now I know he has to make money but the price was ridiculous. After my first emotion of being shocked I became angry and told him, "See ya latter. Thanx for stopping by."Big smile

I have no intention of selling it in the near future but I have no idea what the future holds.

I agree Mark. The price of some of the vinyl now days is crazy. One has to be wealthy. I'm happy finding a CD of an artist but now some of the CDs that had a limited number of releases are getting expensive as well. Then I'm happy with a digital D/L.

BTW, my half brother gave me about 500 records mostly from the around the early to mid 60's and includes The Beatles, The Stones and other more notable rock artists as well as some folk, some jazz(mostly John Coltrane), blues and R&B and country(he was a big Johnny Cash fan) and some Elvis.

I had a lot of fun collecting back in the day however other priorities, situations, technology and other reasons came up that I stopped collecting and have no intention of getting back into it.

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 7:59am
For me it�s simply a matter of not having time to listen to my vinyls anymore with kids running around and also because my stereo with the record player is in our living room and my wife curiously enough don�t enjoy listening to Napalm Death and Anal Cunt LOL. So most of my listening is on my iPod or on CDs in my car to and from work and in the kitchen while doing the dishes. It�s too bad because I really love my vinyls and I think there�s something magical about the big sleeves, the smell and the sound. Hopefully when my kids get older I�ll have time to listen to my vinyls again.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 12:11pm

Criminal? Sacrilegious, hell ya. If I saw you doing that I would give you and your buddies "a can whoop ass."Wink

I work in an electronics recycling depot, didn't really have a choice.  Had to make it fit in a bag.

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 8:54pm

I work in an electronics recycling depot, didn't really have a choice.  Had to make it fit in a bag.

Well that's a different story then. Sounds like a fun job. Cool

Posted By: Coffin Joe
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 1:17pm
I love vinyl, & I have taken the collecting thing up again. Seems like for most of us, it's an on off thing. I always go through bargain bins and lesser known second hand shops. But since the introduction of internettrading, the prices have skyrocketed. At the moment I buy most new music on vinyl - there's just a special magic about putting on a vinyl record. For me, it's the whole take-time-and-listen thing that's appealing.

Posted By: Time Signature
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 11:59am
I just want MP3 files... I have no time to sit down and listen. That's why I only listen to grindcore microsongs.

Just kidding, by the way.

-------------

Posted By: Earendil
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 5:15pm
I especially like limited-edition vinyl.  Usually I save it for albums I really like though.

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by Coffin Joe Coffin Joe wrote:

I love vinyl, & I have taken the collecting thing up again. Seems like for most of us, it's an on off thing. I always go through bargain bins and lesser known second hand shops. But since the introduction of internettrading, the prices have skyrocketed. At the moment I buy most new music on vinyl - there's just a special magic about putting on a vinyl record. For me, it's the whole take-time-and-listen thing that's appealing.

I agree. About ten years ago or so I noticed the prices getting ridiculous. I thought the prices would of have come down with many of those rare obsure pieces of vinyl getting reissued on CD and the ease and the low price of downloading digital files. Go figure.

Date Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 2:29am
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

I just want MP3 files... I have no time to sit down and listen. That's why I only listen to grindcore microsongs.

Just kidding, by the way.

Headbanger

Date Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 2:37am
Originally posted by E�rendil E�rendil wrote:

I especially like limited-edition vinyl.  Usually I save it for albums I really like though.

I'm also sucker for those Big smile I guess it taps into my collector-gene, but I try to keep it under control - something both my wife & wallet seems to appreciate. 

But if you act fast and buy the rare or limited edition, when they are released, you can usually find them around the same price as the cd (maybe a little pricier). 

Actually one of the reasons I took up collecting new music on vinyl, is I grew immensely tired of my fathers story, about how he never should have sold that Beatle/Elvis - you name it-collection. But instead of collecting the gold of his generation (yeah I do that to some extend), I collect contemporary music on vinyl. Hopefully I won't be telling the soggy story of when I sold my golden vinyl collection to my children Big smile 
Funny how my fathers collection grows more & more awesome each time he tells the story

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 10:06am
I should have known better, but yes, Lady Gaga's albums (at least "Born This Way") are available on vinyl.  I'd pull an Entwhistle and use that one for target practice.

-------------

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 2:06am
Originally posted by E�rendil E�rendil wrote:

I agree with this.

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 4:04am
For the first time in months I actually listened to some of my vinyls the other day...of course as I was building LEGO with my daugther at the same time, it wasn�t the hardest stuff in my collection we were listening to. 10cc and The Beatles, but just the fact that I was allowed to listen to some of my own music instead of being tortured by Gangnam Style for the 1000th time was very deliberating...

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 3:38pm
Ever since I moved out of my parent's house in June, I've been listening to more and more vinyl out loud.  I couldn't do that for quite a while as my mom works a night job.  A greater percentage of my music purchases lately are vinyl albums.  In fact, I'm heading to a local record store tomorrow to see if he has any Boxing Week sales.

Also, I'm looking to get a sturdy shelf for my records since the crates I currently store them in are at capacity and are an eyesore. LOL

-------------

Posted By: renkls
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 6:06pm
It's good to see vinyl making a comeback. I've been collecting vinyls of most of the CDs I own, though at the moment I probably should cut back on that due to it being an expensive hobby, especially as I often seek the original releases over re-releases.

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 6:21pm
I've been listening to a lot of vinyl lately (and reviewing a fair amount of it on PA and RYM Smile). Most of my purchases over the past year or so have been on the format, too - it's usually cheaper, and I've found a lot of hidden gems in boxes of rubbish at sales and flea markets. Collecting has become one of my favorite hobbies, and I'm finally starting to build up a rather sizable collection of records. Thumbs Up

-------------
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 10:11pm
I forgot to mention that for Christmas, I got a long sleeve t-shirt that says "Don't Stop The Music.  Keep Records In Rotation"  as well as "Preserve The Vinyl Record".  I can't find a good photo of it in a quick search.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2012 at 3:59pm
I finally bought my vinyl shelf!!

For the record, my records are on the bottom, and the ones above it are my brothers.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2012 at 8:28pm
Nice! And I spot some Zappa! Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 11:10pm
I just pre-ordered the purple vinyl version of "Surgical Steel" by Carcass.  It's limited to 250 copies, which I believe will make it my most scarce record.

-------------

Posted By: bartosso
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 9:58am
If I could just put in a word here...   vinyls suck Embarrassed

Here what I think of vinyls: expensive as hell (while CDs are just expensive), inferior in terms of quality compared to modern CDs, quality decreases with every spin, requires a turntable that usually costs fortune, can't easily rip it to your PC for further convenience. The only good thing about vinyls are the cover artworks - they're way bigger.

Sorry for trying to be a spoilsport but really, I can't see a reason for buying something as impractical and expensive as vinyls, besides a sentimental attachment of some older music lovers, in which case it's understandable.

-------------
http://shrineofllyria.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - http://shrineofllyria.blogspot.com/

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 1:55pm
I miss the days when CDs were something exotic that I had only heard about and digital files didn�t exist at all. Vinyls have a warmth and a charm to them that neither CDs nor digital files possess.

-------------

Posted By: bartosso
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 2:58pm
^ well, I admit vinyls are ok when it comes to vintage music or just some obscure old stuff that haven't been reissued on CD. I just don't get buying contemporary music on LPs instead of CDs. As for the digital files, I think having something tangible instead of just a bunch of files downloaded from the Internet has something magical to it. I love to open the booklet even if I'm listening to the ripped FLAC version of the album. It's a part of the experience.

And well, CDs are digital too, after all. I read a very interesting article on vinyls and CDs, it's really informative:

http://marlene-d.blogspot.com/2011/12/hi-my-sweet-little-schweinehunde-today.html" rel="nofollow - http://marlene-d.blogspot.com/2011/12/hi-my-sweet-little-schweinehunde-today.html

-------------
http://shrineofllyria.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - http://shrineofllyria.blogspot.com/

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2014 at 11:21am
Oh hi old thread

I've started collecting vinyl now, because I set up a sweet rig with an 80's Rega Planar 2 turntable.  Sounds (and looks) really pretty.

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2014 at 2:13pm
Looks like a good quality turntable to me. As I said above I love vinyls.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 2:31pm
Considering I got it for free, it's pretty damn good

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I miss the days when CDs were something exotic that I had only heard about and digital files didn�t exist at all. Vinyls have a warmth and a charm to them that neither CDs nor digital files possess.

Clap

-------------
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris

Posted By: vmoore
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2014 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by bartosso bartosso wrote:

Here what I think of vinyls: expensive as hell (while CDs are just expensive), inferior in terms of quality compared to modern CDs, quality decreases with every spin, requires a turntable that usually costs fortune, can't easily rip it to your PC for further convenience. The only good thing about vinyls are the cover artworks - they're way bigger.

Sorry for trying to be a spoilsport but really, I can't see a reason for buying something as impractical and expensive as vinyls, besides a sentimental attachment of some older music lovers, in which case it's understandable.

I agree with some  of the things you have say and some I don't. when you say they can cost a lot yes new ones can cost a lot but not always but a lot of the time you can get a new vinyl record loads cheaper on amazon.com then you can from a record store where they cost anywhere from $20 to $50. I paid $33 for an avenged sevenfold vinyl at FYE. To say that the quality of your vinyl record decreases with every spin is so completely untrue, I have lots of old 70s 80s and even some 60s vinyls that sound as good as the day they were bought. if you take care of your records they will always sound new. Also you can make badly sounding and scratched and skipping records sound like new again by using 1500 grit or finer sand paper. I have gotten some badly scratched vinyls from thrift stores that either skipped or had lots background noise and resurfaced them with the sand paper and wiped off the dust and the sounded like new again,

Now you don't have to pay hundreds of dollars to get a good turntable. a great audio technica turntable is about $100 new or a little less used on amazon. My turntable the Pyle pro plttb2u pictured below cost me like $75.  SO you have the completely wrong idea of vinyl records

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Nice! And I spot some Zappa! Big smile

Oh, be quiet you Tongue

-------------

Posted By: Psydye
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 1:42pm
I'll be starting my vinyl adventure somewhat soon....I have my eyes set on the Audio Technica AT-LP60-USB...it's gotten great reviews just for being a starter model and a vinyl player in general...for the rather cheap price($149.95 on their site, cheaper elsewhere) you can't beat it!Smile

Posted By: Unitron
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 7:32pm
To listen to my vinyl, I use a Record/CD/Cassette combo. I've actually been wanting to get just a record player that I can hook up to some big speakers. My combos's sound quality is pretty bad, the biggest reason why I don't listen to my record collection much Tongue 

-------------
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

To listen to my vinyl, I use a Record/CD/Cassette combo. I've actually been wanting to get just a record player that I can hook up to some big speakers. My combos's sound quality is pretty bad, the biggest reason why I don't listen to my record collection much Tongue 

LOL Clap

-------------

Posted By: aglasshouse
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 7:24pm
My record player is an antique Brunswick that is designed to play records with heavier material (ex. classic big band records), so if I put say any old 70's record in there, it would shred it up. 

That's why I need a new record player. LOL

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by bartosso bartosso wrote:

There are certain kinds of record players (mighty expensive in most circumstances) that can rip your music from your vinyl on to your computer. It's really cool. Wink

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 4:10pm
There's loads of stuff getting released on vinyl in very small quantities these days. This stuff is going to be worth a fortune at some point in the future. For example, the obscure seventies bands that go for big bucks today, even though they didn't sell loads would have been pressed in far greater quantities than the 200's, 500's etc that are getting pressed by some bands now. These will be massive collectors items.

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

There's loads of stuff getting released on vinyl in very small quantities these days. This stuff is going to be worth a fortune at some point in the future. For example, the obscure seventies bands that go for big bucks today, even though they didn't sell loads would have been pressed in far greater quantities than the 200's, 500's etc that are getting pressed by some bands now. These will be massive collectors items.

That's why if you're someone who enjoys collecting them, you have to look in the exact right places to get them for cheap. My collection is growing because of finding all of these cheap vinyls for $3-5.00.

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

That's why if you're someone who enjoys collecting them, you have to look in the exact right places to get them for cheap. My collection is growing because of finding all of these cheap vinyls for $3-5.00.

That's certainly cheap. I assume you're talking about 2nd hand at that price?

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 5:16pm

Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

That's certainly cheap. I assume you're talking about 2nd hand at that price?
Usually they are actually in quite good shape.Of course not new and pristine but I find some great records with little to no scratches at the place I visit.

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 2:35pm
The only problem i have with some of the new stuff getting released on vinyl is that as albums grew in length with the extra time available on a cd there's many albums now that are too long to fit on a single LP so they release them as doubles. In the old days a side of vinyl would typically be around 20 mins long. With some of these new releases they're too long for a single but really too short for a double so they end up having short sides where you're having to change it over after only 12 or 13 minutes. 

However, I don't know if I'm imagining this and it may be partly down to the vinyl resurgence - albums do seem to be getting shorter. I've bought a lot lately that only seem to be around the 45 min mark.

Posted By: Vim Fuego
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2015 at 1:25am
Classic Rock magazine recently dedicated a whole issue to vinyl. I'm definitely not a fan. It used to be a way to find the odd rare thing second hand and cheap, but not any more. It's inconvenient and unreliable soundwise if you buy second hand. My copy of Darkness Descends by Dark Angel is completely unlistenable because whoever sold it wore it out and scratched the hell out of it. I've got it on CD now. Erm, I still wouldn't sell it though, because that hand reaching out of the grave looks really cool in 12 in format...

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2015 at 9:47am
^ The problem is a lot of people just didn't take care of their vinyl and it needs a lot more TLC than a Cd does. I've been disappointed by quite a few 2nd hand vinyl purchases myself. My LP copy of Darkness Decends which I've had from new in the 80's still sounds great! Wink

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 3:15pm
I recently got the new Sorcerer album ob vinyl, which is great by the way. However, I hadn't realised until it arrived that it plays at 45 rpm. Now I appreciate this should give better sound quality than 33 rpm but my deck while it will play 45's involves some fannying about to do it. I'd prefer to stick with albums that play at 33.

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 3:46pm
CDs suck large volumes of SUCKA$$!!

Records are the only way to experience music.....You can't "hear" music from a digital file. Day in day out my rekkids destroy my CDs for sound quality and immersion into the music. Only time I listen to CDs is when I am vacuuming or cleaning the toilet....back ground noise.

Can't do this with a CD.....

-------------
US Festival '83 "Heavy Metal Sunday" Survivor....

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk