MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old Metallica Still Has It!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Dilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old Metallica Still Has It!
    Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 9:15pm
Just thought I'd share a fun story.

I've long gotten over my Metallica fanboy days, but today as I was driving around with my mp3 player on shuffle, For Whom the Bells Tolls came on, and I didn't adjust my usually loud volume.

As I was waiting at a stop sign, an older lady pulled up next to me, and shot me a look then pulled forward so our windows (rolled-down) were no longer face to face. I giggled to myself, and thought that was then end of it, but the cross-traffic was thick, so we were stuck there together for a moment. In the, let's say, 3 minutes that followed, she kept doing double takes in my direction with a sour face, like she was going to lose her lunch and have uncontrollable diarrhea. LOL  The part in the intro where the whole band starts playing descending power chords particularly bothered her.

The reason I share this is because I've been in similar situations while playing As I Lay Dying, Burzum, Megadeth, In Flames, Shadows Fall, Dark Tranquility--you name it, it's happened a bunch--and NONE of them got a response as extreme as this one. I am surprised by this because some might consider For Whom the Bell Tolls a bit tame by the standards of those other bands. It just goes to show that doom-y, raw, chromaticism never fails to incite horror in the uninitiated!

Anyway, had a good laugh today...

www.withinareverie.blogspot.com
soundcloud.com/withinareverie
facebook.com/withinareverie
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 1:07am
Yeah old Metallica rulesHeadbanger
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 2:54am
Old Metallica definitely rules! Today there seems to be such a strong anti-Metallica sentiment in the metal community that people seem to forget how influential - and brilliant - their first for albums were. When people are busy bashing Lars Ulrich for being a lousy drummer, they seem to forget that the work he did on Kill 'Em All was pretty much genre-defining.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 3:13am
Yep I agree, but they are not without fault themselves in ruining their own reputationEvil Smile. The portrait painted of Metallica in the "Some kind of Monster" documentary is pathetic (and that�s if I�m playing nice)Ermm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 3:37am
I agree in that one - watching "Some Kind of Monster" can still make me cringe. But that some of the members behave like dicks in that documentary does not, IMO, disqualify their music.
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtguitarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 7:38am
Strange, I just played Ride the Lightning in it's entirety for the first time in over a year a week or so ago...and thoroughly enjoyed it!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 8:10am
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

I agree in that one - watching "Some Kind of Monster" can still make me cringe. But that some of the members behave like dicks in that documentary does not, IMO, disqualify their music.

No the actual music doWinkBig smileLOL

Edited by UMUR - 18 Aug 2012 at 8:10am
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 11:44am
^Death Magnetic is actually pretty awesome IMO, and Beyond Magnetic is getting better every time I listen!

But yes, old Metallica still rock hard!
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 9:09pm
Am I the only one here that thinks Master of Puppets sounds watered down and too tame?
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 1:50am
Originally posted by Tupan Tupan wrote:

^Death Magnetic is actually pretty awesome IMO, and Beyond Magnetic is getting better every time I listen!

But yes, old Metallica still rock hard!

I wasn�t being to serious. I like Death Magnetic tooSmile.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 1:50am
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

Am I the only one here that thinks Master of Puppets sounds watered down and too tame?

...well I can�t say that�s how I feel about it.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 6:28am
Me neither. But that's how I feel about Load and ReLoad.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtguitarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 7:03am

Probably.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 7:11am

After you saying that Meshuggah isn't extreme metal, I thought nothing would surprise me. I was wrong Wink
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 7:59am
I mean, come on.

This

compared to this

The cleaner production made it sound quieter and not as hard and heavy as Ride the Lightning and a lot of the riffs aren't really as interesting.  Even the soloing is weaker.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 8:02am
Well, some people even say that Metallica abandoned thrash metal after "Kill 'Em All". To me, however, all their albums up until the black album are among the finest thrash metal releases ever, each with its own attractions and highlights.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtguitarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 9:16am
Yes, there are different reasons for liking one album over another, but that doesn't make one album objectively better than another.  It's all just opinion, and it is not invalid to like one thing over another, but what is invalid is to insist that other people ought to share the same opinion that you do.  In the end, all it is is a matter of "I like this, and dislike that - you like this and dislike that" and it really doesn't matter where people differ, just look for people who have commonalities and use that as a springboard for friendship.  Going the other way and searching for differences to argue about leads nowhere but anger and frustration and that is just pointless.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 10:02am
I agree. I mean, why get upset at other people's music tastes?
IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 10:54am

I disagree, but when compared to the band's first two albums I can see why someone may think that.
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 2:55pm
For me, Master of Puppets is eternal. They "tamed" their sound in Black Album IMO. For me, Black Album does not aged very well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic