MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Your Favourite Out Of These Underrated Rock Albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your Favourite Out Of These Underrated Rock Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which of the following albums do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [2.63%]
1 [2.63%]
5 [13.16%]
1 [2.63%]
0 [0.00%]
7 [18.42%]
3 [7.89%]
3 [7.89%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [10.53%]
1 [2.63%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
11 [28.95%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.63%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your Favourite Out Of These Underrated Rock Albums
    Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 1:15pm
There are many underrated rock albums out there. These are just a handful that I have come across that I feel do not get the appreciation they deserve. So, what is your favourite of my little hidden gems? Smile
micky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 1:23pm
Caress of Steel without a doubt...  it rocks!!!!  and no finer example of D&D prog  LOL
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 2:11pm
I thought Jar of Flies was very much appreciated, at least among all AiC fans I know.

Load is my favourite of these, criminally underrated. Today I listened to Never Say Die! for the first time ever and was very positively surprised.
<- Click on this!
Negoba View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 2:45pm
Gotta go with Jake E. Lee.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 3:46pm

Jar of Flies underrated? The only EP to ever hit number one on the charts?Tongue

Voted FII

Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 11:45am
A crimson album remains a Crimson album, even if weaker than others.

Edited by Sean Trane - 12 Apr 2010 at 11:45am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Harry View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 7:58pm
Jar of Flies is probably the only one of this list I could listen to consistently 
thellama73 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thellama73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 10:13pm
I only know a few of them, but Caress of Steel is awesome. Anyone who says different is selling something.
Those who know what's best for us must rise and save us from ourselves.
Stephen View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 2:43am
i would say Falling Into Infinity :)
1967/ 1976 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1967/ 1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 4:08am
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 4:37pm
     ^
YEEEEAAAH! Some love for Saxon! Rawks
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 7:15pm
Caress of Steel, easily...
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
aapatsos View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aapatsos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 3:27pm
Jar of Flies!!!
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 1:21pm
Caress Of Steel by Rush is my favourite there but I also have a soft spot for Binaurul, Beat and The Ultimate Sin. In Through The Outdoor may be Zeppelin's weakest studio moment but nevertheless has some fine moments, especially I'm Gonna Crawl.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 1:29am
"im . . . Im . . . gonna crawwwwwl",
Damn that is a great song!  When that album came out, I was super dissapointed because thats the
time (last year of Highschool) I was really getting into them.  As the years went by, I loved it more
and more.  But not as much as the previous 3 albums.

Well lets see, when Falling Into Infinity came out, I was working at Tower Records at the time, I was
hearing alot of fans being really disappointed with that one, me and a fellow Prog and Metalhead
discussed how "Awake" at the opening was like POW! in your face and this one . . .
"neenerneerner ner ner neenerneener ner ner"LOL, but after a few weeks, I really came to like this
album (except for the Studio version of Burning my Soul, still hate that "Voice Box" part).  Now it can
be found in a Top 5 list of fave Albums for DT fans.
Still cant get into Megadeths "Panic".  Still at Tower, I got a Promo of it and asked "what the hell
happened to Megadeath?" Unhappy
Load . . . yeah, whata' load Tongue (sorry Pekka, the Black album was the beginning of the end for me).
Not a Grateful Dead Fan and I need to take more listens to Steve Hillage (I have soo many classic
Prog Bands to catch-up with).
Beat . . . is my favorite King Crimson album, this era (Discipline, Three of a Perfect Pair, Beat,
Vroom etc.) is my fave.  But in general KC is in my Top 10 list of Prog Rock.
I know I'll get beat-up, but I love the Union album by Yes, always have Ouch.  Got to see the Tour too!
Around these parts Son . . . Ultimate Sin was pretty popular and respected, Jake E. Lee won the
over the Randy Rhodes crowd . . . I was, missing Randy Cry (and wished Brad Gillis stayed).
I need to get Desolation Angels on CD!  I only have it on LP and havent had a Turn-table in over
15 years. Bad Company is awesome.
"Never say Die" by Sabbath is another great one and need to pick-up a CD copy as well, same
story as with Bad Company.  This album has some interesting "turns".
Again, around these parts when AiC and Pumpkins released those albums they were very
popular, and have come to really respect "Jar of Flies" even more these days.

R U S H . . .
My favorite Band, when I 1st got into them "Caress" may have been my fave album in 1982 until I
discovered Hemispheres.  I started reading about their history at that time and was shocked that
the poor sales almost broke-up the band.  Now I think most Rush fans consider it a classic and
ahead of its time.
But I think I'll go with Saxon, I dont hear many folks talk about this album, though its my favorite.
Its the sound of all their experience made into a polished but Heavy Metal masterpiece.  The way
Nigel Glocklers Drums are Mic'd are astounding, the Drums sound HUGE.  Didnt see them till
Crusader and thats a excellent one as well, and one of my fave Concert memories (At the Santa
Monica Civic Auditorium with "Keel" opening). 
As under appreciated . . .
I go with Saxon, outstanding overlooked Metal Album Thumbs UpHeart

That was my 10cents.

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 17 Apr 2010 at 1:33am
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 4:28am
I went with "Falling into Infinity" althouhg it was a close call between that and "Caress of Steel" - although I've never thought of them as being underrated. I think that "Never Say Die" is underrated - I think it's a pretty good rock album with some nice and mostly solid songs on it. On the other hand there's a bunch of albums on the list that I think deserve the bashing they get such as "Load", which I dislike (to put it mildly). I'm ambivalent about "Risk" - I don't dislike the music, but it just doesn't capture me at all.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 11:50am

I kind of had to go with Caress of Steel.  It was my first Rush CD and my gateway into my favorite band.  I like most of the albums on the list including the often panned on PA Union from Yes.  I really liked Ozzy's The Ultimate Sin at the time of its release.  I wore the cassette tape out on that one.

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 12:13pm
I think Load gets more criticism than it deserves.  There's a bit of filler on it, but there are plenty of great songs to make up for it: "Until It Sleeps", "King Nothing", "Hero Of The Day" among others.  It may be non-metal of me to say it, but those are classic Metallica songs.
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 12:29pm
^And above them all is The Outlaw Torn, which is my favourite Metallica song ever.
<- Click on this!
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 1:11pm

I thought that Load was still a good album.  Maybe more commercial sounding than earlier Metallica, but I think that it still had a good Metallica sound to it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic