Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.MetalMusicArchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=411
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 2:05am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Your Favourite Out Of These Underrated Rock Albums
Posted By: FusionKing
Subject: Your Favourite Out Of These Underrated Rock Albums
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 1:15pm
There are many underrated rock albums out there. These are just a handful that I have come across that I feel do not get the appreciation they deserve. So, what is your favourite of my little hidden gems? Smile

Replies:
Posted By: micky
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 1:23pm
Caress of Steel without a doubt...  it rocks!!!!  and no finer example of D&D prog  LOL

Posted By: Pekka
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 2:11pm
I thought Jar of Flies was very much appreciated, at least among all AiC fans I know.

Load is my favourite of these, criminally underrated. Today I listened to Never Say Die! for the first time ever and was very positively surprised.

-------------
http://iamthreepeople.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow"> <- Click on this!

Posted By: Negoba
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 2:45pm
Gotta go with Jake E. Lee.

Posted By: topofsm
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 3:46pm

Jar of Flies underrated? The only EP to ever hit number one on the charts?Tongue

Voted FII

-------------
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 11:45am
A crimson album remains a Crimson album, even if weaker than others.

-------------
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Posted By: Harry
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 7:58pm
Jar of Flies is probably the only one of this list I could listen to consistently 

-------------

Posted By: thellama73
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 10:13pm
I only know a few of them, but Caress of Steel is awesome. Anyone who says different is selling something.

-------------
Those who know what's best for us must rise and save us from ourselves.

Posted By: Stephen
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 2:43am
i would say Falling Into Infinity :)

Posted By: 1967/ 1976
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 4:08am

-------------

Posted By: FusionKing
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 4:37pm
     ^
YEEEEAAAH! Some love for Saxon! Rawks

Posted By: J-Man
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 7:15pm
Caress of Steel, easily...

-------------
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 3:27pm
Jar of Flies!!!

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 1:21pm
Caress Of Steel by Rush is my favourite there but I also have a soft spot for Binaurul, Beat and The Ultimate Sin. In Through The Outdoor may be Zeppelin's weakest studio moment but nevertheless has some fine moments, especially I'm Gonna Crawl.

Posted By: MAVIIIVAM
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 1:29am
"im . . . Im . . . gonna crawwwwwl",
Damn that is a great song!  When that album came out, I was super dissapointed because thats the
time (last year of Highschool) I was really getting into them.  As the years went by, I loved it more
and more.  But not as much as the previous 3 albums.

Well lets see, when Falling Into Infinity came out, I was working at Tower Records at the time, I was
hearing alot of fans being really disappointed with that one, me and a fellow Prog and Metalhead
discussed how "Awake" at the opening was like POW! in your face and this one . . .
"neenerneerner ner ner neenerneener ner ner"LOL, but after a few weeks, I really came to like this
album (except for the Studio version of Burning my Soul, still hate that "Voice Box" part).  Now it can
be found in a Top 5 list of fave Albums for DT fans.
Still cant get into Megadeths "Panic".  Still at Tower, I got a Promo of it and asked "what the hell
happened to Megadeath?" Unhappy
Load . . . yeah, whata' load Tongue (sorry Pekka, the Black album was the beginning of the end for me).
Not a Grateful Dead Fan and I need to take more listens to Steve Hillage (I have soo many classic
Prog Bands to catch-up with).
Beat . . . is my favorite King Crimson album, this era (Discipline, Three of a Perfect Pair, Beat,
Vroom etc.) is my fave.  But in general KC is in my Top 10 list of Prog Rock.
I know I'll get beat-up, but I love the Union album by Yes, always have Ouch.  Got to see the Tour too!
Around these parts Son . . . Ultimate Sin was pretty popular and respected, Jake E. Lee won the
over the Randy Rhodes crowd . . . I was, missing Randy Cry (and wished Brad Gillis stayed).
I need to get Desolation Angels on CD!  I only have it on LP and havent had a Turn-table in over
15 years. Bad Company is awesome.
"Never say Die" by Sabbath is another great one and need to pick-up a CD copy as well, same
story as with Bad Company.  This album has some interesting "turns".
Again, around these parts when AiC and Pumpkins released those albums they were very
popular, and have come to really respect "Jar of Flies" even more these days.

R U S H . . .
My favorite Band, when I 1st got into them "Caress" may have been my fave album in 1982 until I
discovered Hemispheres.  I started reading about their history at that time and was shocked that
the poor sales almost broke-up the band.  Now I think most Rush fans consider it a classic and
ahead of its time.
But I think I'll go with Saxon, I dont hear many folks talk about this album, though its my favorite.
Its the sound of all their experience made into a polished but Heavy Metal masterpiece.  The way
Nigel Glocklers Drums are Mic'd are astounding, the Drums sound HUGE.  Didnt see them till
Crusader and thats a excellent one as well, and one of my fave Concert memories (At the Santa
Monica Civic Auditorium with "Keel" opening). 
As under appreciated . . .
I go with Saxon, outstanding overlooked Metal Album Thumbs UpHeart

That was my 10cents.

-------------
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com

Posted By: Time Signature
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 4:28am
I went with "Falling into Infinity" althouhg it was a close call between that and "Caress of Steel" - although I've never thought of them as being underrated. I think that "Never Say Die" is underrated - I think it's a pretty good rock album with some nice and mostly solid songs on it. On the other hand there's a bunch of albums on the list that I think deserve the bashing they get such as "Load", which I dislike (to put it mildly). I'm ambivalent about "Risk" - I don't dislike the music, but it just doesn't capture me at all.

-------------

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 11:50am

I kind of had to go with Caress of Steel.  It was my first Rush CD and my gateway into my favorite band.  I like most of the albums on the list including the often panned on PA Union from Yes.  I really liked Ozzy's The Ultimate Sin at the time of its release.  I wore the cassette tape out on that one.

-------------

Posted By: Stooge
Date Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 12:13pm
I think Load gets more criticism than it deserves.  There's a bit of filler on it, but there are plenty of great songs to make up for it: "Until It Sleeps", "King Nothing", "Hero Of The Day" among others.  It may be non-metal of me to say it, but those are classic Metallica songs.

Posted By: Pekka
Date Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 12:29pm
^And above them all is The Outlaw Torn, which is my favourite Metallica song ever.

-------------
http://iamthreepeople.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow"> <- Click on this!

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 1:11pm

I thought that Load was still a good album.  Maybe more commercial sounding than earlier Metallica, but I think that it still had a good Metallica sound to it.

-------------

Posted By: Stooge
Date Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 5:21pm
I just reacquired Falling Into Infinity after getting rid of my copy years ago.   I just started listening to it again, and I think it was mainly "You Not Me" that turned me off the album.  We'll see how this listen goes.

Date Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 11:45pm
Boy . . .
(Again- I have been reminded of how I felt about that DT album and watching the Vid . . .)
That album had to grow on me but I ended up liking it alot!  The song that I still cant listen to is
"Burning my Soul", only for the reason that "Producer" (PRODUCER!!!???)  "Kevin Shirley" wanted
everyone to try "new things" and suggested that Petrucci try adding a "Voice Box" vocal in it Pinch
Luckily, when they do it live, its nowhere to be found.
This was pressure from the Label wanting DT to be more commercial and almost broke up the band.
You can "see" all this on the excellent Vid "5 Years in a Livetime".
Their were tracks that did not make the Album but are Bonus Tracks on the Japanese version (And
can be found on the Club CD "Cleaning out the Closet").
Including a beautiful track called "Speak to me" and "Have I lost my mind" that are played live on the
VHS/DVD Big smile  (I believe "Raise the Knife" was the extra track as well and is INCREDIBLE, though it
appeared as a "Demo Track").

"Speak to me" Live-5 Years in a Livetime:

"Raise the Knife"  -Cleaning out the Closet/Fanclub CD:

"Score DVD Live version" of same song- which I think is even better!:

Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falling_into_Infinity" rel="nofollow - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falling_into_Infinity

-------------
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com

Posted By: UMUR
Date Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 1:58am
I�ve voted Jar of Flies, but I don�t really think that EP is underrated!

-------------
http://www.lyngby-boldklub.dk/" rel="nofollow - Forever TRUE - Forever BLUE!
https://rateyourmusic.com/~UMUR" rel="nofollow - UMUR on RYM

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 2:17pm
Caress of Steel....love that album !!! But I picked Saxon Power & The Glory. That album blew me away back in 80something......The Eagle Has Landed...brutal song...I think I blew out some car speakers back in the day playing it so loud.
Clap

-------------
US Festival '83 "Heavy Metal Sunday" Survivor....

Posted By: Morningrise
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I�ve voted Jar of Flies, but I don�t really think that EP is underrated!

Posted By: LittleBig
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 4:39pm
wow, so many good albums in the list - In through the out door, Ultimate Sin, Beat, Load, Carress of steel, Falling into Infinity to name a few. Hard to choose.Smile

Posted By: buttsled
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 10:17pm
Quite a few good ones in there but I had to go with In Through the Out Door. Considering the issues in the band at the time it was essentially a JPJ solo album and taking it at that it's a pretty fucking good LZ album.
Of course, if Led Zeppelin is on the list I am going to choose them almost all the time.
With them out of the question I'd put Ultimate Sin slightly above Caress of Steel.

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 1:22am
I'd re-vote if I could . . .

If I thought more about it, YES "Union" is really un-popular and I like it, especially all the "moody"
songs, very "Night-time/Nocturnal".  All the other albums I can see as more popular.
But I never really liked "The Grateful Dead" and as a Megadeth fan since the beginning, I will
NEVER like "Risk" no matter how much they re-mix it Tongue.

Saxon's "Power and the Glory" is a MUST for any Metal fan.
And being a die-hard Rush-head, Caress of Steel is classic Big smile.

-------------

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2012 at 2:00am
Caress of Steel... although Beat happens to be on of my very favorite King Crimson albums.

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 6:24pm
Caress of SteelHeadbanger.

"My life is slipping away
I'm aging every day
But even when I'm grey
I'll still be grey my way"

-------------
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris

Posted By: Daysbetween
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 7:13am
I voted for the Dream Theater over Caress Of Steel which I don't really consider underrated and is a staple in my listening over the last 35 years.

Posted By: Psydye
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 11:57am
Being as I'm a huge 'Dead fan gonna have to go with 'Anthem of the Sun'....'love all their stuff!!Heart

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 10:43pm
Rush! Jar of flies is not underrated! Some of these really do suck like Yes Union

-------------

Posted By: Unitron
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 1:47am
Rush, no question. That's my favorite classic Rush album Big smile

-------------
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 1:50am
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Rush, no question. That's my favorite classic Rush album Big smile

Clap

-------------
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris

Posted By: dark2711
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 11:23am

I went for Risk by Megadeth, have always liked it, yes it is the oddball in their catalogue, but I think there are some really decent tunes on there. While I quite like Load, personally I think Re-Load is the album of that period that deserves the real criticism.

To be honest I am more a fan of 80s Rush, but every since the film, Beyond the Lighted Stage, I have always been meaning to go back to Caress of Steel and reacquaint myself with it. Maybe I’ll do that tonight ...

Posted By: Dobbie03
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 12:09pm
Jar Of Flies.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk