MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hi MMA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi MMA
    Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 2:22am
Hi everyone, I've jumped across from JMA (where I'd in turn jumped across from PA) so like a few of you, I now have the complete membership set Wink

I used to 'sing' for a metal band, though I was more of a screamer really. Once my band splintered and the four of us found ourselves in different states, I found myself been making less music, but I've never stopped listening. Keen to write some reviews when I get the time.

A couple favs, Black Sabbath, Pantera, Opeth and some others that I can't think of right now!

Ashley

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 26 Mar 2012 at 3:18am
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 2:34am
Hi and welcome to MMASmile

I recognise you from JMA.

Black Sabbath, Pantera and Opeth!!! I think all three are on my favorite list too: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/UMUR(member).aspxHeadbanger
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 3:22am
Hey Jonas, me too! Cool!

I saw Meshuggah & Type O Negative on your list too. One of the things that always impressed me about Type O Negative is that they brought humour to their metal and it worked so well.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 3:27am
Yeah they tread the fine line really well. Successfully putting humour in metal is always a hard balance to strike. I like the sarcasm and even the at times "fart humour"Big smile approach of Type O Negative.

...about Meshuggah I purchased "Contradictions Collapse" on vinyl (second hand) back in the early nineties and I purchased "Destroy Erase Improve" upon release. But I was actually never much of a fan and didn�t listen to anymore of their releases until I saw them live in 2005. That experience completely changed my perspective of them, and I�ve become quite a big fan of their music since. I�ll even go as far as to call myself a fanboy at this pointLOL

Edited by UMUR - 26 Mar 2012 at 6:56am
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 6:51am
Carnivore was funnier that Type O Negative :-P
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 8:30am
Hi and welcome!
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 1:29pm
Welcome and hi!
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 5:07pm
I heard some of your growls on Alec Vanwhatshisname's electronic album, sounded pretty good
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 12:26am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Yeah they tread the fine line really well. Successfully putting humour in metal is always a hard balance to strike. I like the sarcasm and even the at times "fart humour"Big smile approach of Type O Negative.

...about Meshuggah I purchased "Contradictions Collapse" on vinyl (second hand) back in the early nineties and I purchased "Destroy Erase Improve" upon release. But I was actually never much of a fan and didn�t listen to anymore of their releases until I saw them live in 2005. That experience completely changed my perspective of them, and I�ve become quite a big fan of their music since. I�ll even go as far as to call myself a fanboy at this pointLOL

I feel a bit the same, after seeing them live I went back to albums, and now 'Destroy Erase Improve' is one of my favs. I'm not quite at fanboy level, but I like them a lot, for sure!

Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

Carnivore was funnier that Type O Negative :-P

Clap Ah, nice one! And I should mention Devy too, I suppose.

Originally posted by Colt Colt wrote:

Hi and welcome!

Originally posted by Diogenes Diogenes wrote:

Welcome and hi!

Thank you, both!  Good to be here, I've been meaning to join for a while now, finally made it over.

Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I heard some of your growls on Alec Vanwhatshisname's electronic album, sounded pretty good

Big smile Thanks! I wish I'd been able to get them even dirtier when I was playing a lot, but it was taking too much out of me and I was loosing some steam, especially after a few years of it. I just have longer breaks (between playing/recording) now and it's easier on me.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 7:28pm
Welcome to MMA.  Were you a metal fan first or did your taste in jazz come first?
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 6:34am
Thanks Smile

Metal was first, probably because I was playing in metal and metal-ish bands through high school and on. Jazz came later, when I felt like a change and now it's stuck, but metal remains deep in the soul.  How about you?
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 10:42am
Hey, yo. I welcome to mma

Dominator View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dominator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 12:35pm
Handshake
IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 1:51pm
welcome
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 12:39am
Thanks, everyone!  I'm a bit slow to get into the forum so far but I'm keen to whip up a couple of reviews, and it's sapping my free time, but thanks for the welcome!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 1:23am
Welcome!
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic